Author Topic: Modifying Lures  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Modifying Lures
« on: September 06, 2012, 03:38:30 PM »
Question asked today:

"There's any way that i can add some weight on the 3 oz dahtahs without taking away the swimming affect? i would love to have this lure in 3.5 oz or 3.75 to gain some extra yards.
Let me know your thoughts on adding weight and how to do it"

That lure is a copy of an original Danny Pichney lure. It was not weighted originally so it was recreated that way.  I have been told my many users of these lures that good dahtahs do not contain weight..there's a reason for that in the action. 

I've seen dXXXXrs weighed about 1/3 up from the tail in the past that were done by other people, never seen one with a weight in front; in each case these lures has a significantly different profile.
Long and short, don't recommend it and since this lure is coveted for it's fish catching ability it would take alot to get me to change it.

In the same email...

"BTW, i was on CC Canal a couple days ago, on sunrise, and this plug is a Killer.  After 1 hour or so of no action at all using Pencil and Polaris i decided to try the Dahtah... i was amazed,  on 1st cast  i got a nice 42" bass, they were feeding just bellow surface....and later a couple 34"+. Then the bass moved further to the other CC CAnal side and i wasn't able to cast that far...  "

Fish don't get big if they stay in one place  :)
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts