Author Topic: MAKE A WISH  (Read 3542 times)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
MAKE A WISH
« on: June 25, 2013, 08:12:52 PM »
Received this from Terry Nugent of Riptide Charters several days ago.  Well worth passing along. Congrats to Luke that is awesome!

"Today I was able to do something that truly touched me in a way I can not explain in words. I was asked to provide a wish to a local 12 year old child that was part of the Make a Wish Foundation Network. I was completely humbled to be asked to grant this wish. As you might imagine every charter is important but this one took things to a entirely different level. Luke's wish was to be on a fishing television show (A damn fine wish IMHO) When I got the call I was simply asked to take Luke and his family out fishing. However as I said before I have the best sponsors and an amazing support network. A quick call to my good friend Chris Megan of On the Water Television was all it took and the full support and assets of On the Water were at my disposal!
We prepped and planned for days to make sure that we nailed this once in a lifetime opportunity. My good friend Scott Pillsbury offered up his time and his 23 Contender as "Camera 2". Chris Megan (Host) and Matt Rissell (Camera 1) were on the Riptide. At 0500 Luke and his family met our crew at Bass River just in time to watch the most spectacular sunrise. We loaded the boats and Mic'd up Luke for his big tv show! The ride across to Nantucket was fast and flat with over 1000 horsepower propelling the pair of Contenders. The kids loved the wind in their faces and the smiles were already building in anticipation. We hit Great Point and did a personnel transfer putting the family on Camera 2 while Luke had t he bow of the Riptide as his personal stage. Durring the transfer we were greated by the resident seal population of Great point. Not my favorite critters, but suffice to say they were a big hit with the kids as they popped up and snorted all around the boats.Once the transfer was complete and with Megan as his guide and me on the helm I pointed the Riptide at its namesake Old Man Rip and got to business. God was looking down on us today and soon the radar lit up with huge flocks of gulls crashing the rip and tearing squid from the air as they jetted away from the razor sharp teeth of gator bluefish. The rip was in full effect and within minutes we had fish crashing all around the boat. To everyones shock little Luke is a ringer on the rod. This kid could outfish 80% of my clients!!!!! Megan and I called out clock positions and distances and Luke drilled them EVERY TIME!!!! Hogy's and Salty Needles barely hit the water before the screams of "TIGHT!!!! I'M TIGHT!!!!" came from the bow. The fishing was everything I could have hoped for and nary a cast was made that didn't end up with a bent rod for the better part of 4 hours.The visual aspect of the rip fishing is something many people never get to see and today it was particularly active. Squid of all sizes jetted out of the water just feet from the boat leaving streaks of black ink in the water while monster blues all but jumped in the boat. Everyone got to see a show that was worthy of a Nat Geo special. The entire time Camera 1 and 2 were capturing this special event from every angle!

When little arms needed a quick break Luke did on camera gear talk and a knot tying segment including a How To on the improved clinch knot. Then it was back to the business at hand of educating the big blues. We did another personal transfer and this time Luke showed his little brother and mom how to cast and hook big blues. He hung the fish one after another then passed off the rod and coached his family on the art of fish fighting. I think all of the crew including myself were stunned at the level that little Luke fished at.Finally the rip slowed and we stowed the gear for the ride home. With the family all snuggled together in the bean bags in the back of the Riptide we skated across the building seas of Nantucket Sound with a freshening SW wind. Giggles and squeals filled the boat as the big Contender danced over some of the larger waves.This was without a doubt the most incredible trip I've ever run in 13 seasons of running charters. It was a special day for everyone involved and later this summer all of you will get to share the day since the entire trip will be run as a feature show on On The Water TV.This trip would not have been possible without the efforts and support from all of my sponsors but in particular, the support of Chris Megan and his Crew from On The Water TV who donated a ton time and equipment. Hogy Lures and Salty bugger Lures for the plugs the bluefish couldn't stay away from. Also my good friend Scott Pillsbury who donated his time, boat and fuel to help make this event all the more special.
Here are just a few teaser shots of the day. The rest you'll have to wait to see when the show airs."

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

Re: MAKE A WISH
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 08:17:14 PM »
That is awesome. Congrats.

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »
wow nice scott great artical........nice size blues to........thats what its all about........a memory of a life time
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 05:09:48 PM »
If anyone can make a dvd of the show that'd be awesome. We don't get it here.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts