Author Topic: bend your barbs?  (Read 3259 times)

bbboats

bend your barbs?
« on: November 06, 2010, 05:56:29 PM »
if your fishing wood and bluefish hit  i like to bend my barbs down, -----most guys think thay will loose a fish, but your doing the fish stock a favor, ;) ------------are you pinching yours down????

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
Re: bend your barbs?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 10:40:56 PM »
yep! easier to release fish.

Offline Out Fishing

• Fly fishing & tying, plugging, rod building...
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 09:24:58 PM »
always -

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 04:07:21 AM »
ALWAYS crimp barbs
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 07:28:11 AM »
well ill bend the barbs when im trout fishing........but most and just about all my lures and plugs have single hooks for just that reason when those toothie buggers  r around single hooks are easy to bop that fish back into the ocean for next time..........but do to the fact that not only am i fighting a decent size fish im also working with the ocean current and the waves to play that fish.............so im sorry guys i do admitt  i dont bend my barbs.......yes trout fishing  is one thing............but my barbs are up like my tallywacker :D
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 07:31:14 AM »
I'm a big supporter of barbless fishing. As long as you keep pressure on the fish you won't lose it. The only fish I ever fish for with barbed hooks is bonito and tuna. They run too fast to keep up with.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 03:47:22 PM »
 I bend all my barbs down - I've never noticed an ounce of difference as far as losing fish goes. It also makes it a lot easier to remove a hook from impaled human body parts. Salty, I've been using nothing but barbless circle hooks for tuna since 1998, and I've never had a fish spit the hook even once. Once they're on they're on.
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante