Author Topic: Airbrush question  (Read 5719 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Airbrush question
« on: January 18, 2010, 09:39:15 AM »
I have a limited budget and have never used an airbrush before. Will a single action airbrush work to paint lures or do you need a double action airbrush?
Second question, epoxy finishes, what kind of epoxy is best and how do you apply it?

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
Re: Airbrush question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »
double action is by far better.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:05:10 AM »
single action will work...double action is better. Single only controls the air...not the quantity of paint...double will control both.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

seaviewer

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »
Re: EPOXY
I've been using Devcon 2 ton Epoxy. I purchased the 9oz kit online. Just do a Google search and shop around for best price. It seems pricey but I've done over 20 lures and I'm not even close to running out. You can thin it w/ laquer thinner for the first coat then full on for the 2nd. Applied with brushes from Salty's. This is just the way I do it, there may be a better way. If I'm wrong, stay tuned, we'll here 'bout it!

strike_king

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 05:36:11 PM »
Airbrush:
Single stage is great for base coats,or volume work (a lot of one color). Not as much control over the pattern.Need more pressure as they work on suction,sucking it up from the bottom..
Dual Stage:Great for detail work (scales,fogging,eyes,spots,shading).Greater control over air/paint mix.Uses less air pressure as it's gravity fed,from the top down..
I use Iwatas. I use a bottom feeder to to blow on base coats.Then come in with a top feeder for detail work. Lots of times,I'll do a bunch of a certain color combo to eliminate cleaning /changes.
My advice,get a Michael's coupon for 40 or 50% off one item.Pickup a bottom feeder and get the hang of it. You'll also need a compressor..Airbrush compressors are like pissing in the wind..Get a pancake or twin stack compressor. Airbrush compressors run all the time (no storage tank). Real pain in the balls and noisy...

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 05:48:04 PM »
say dhath!! i use 2 part epoxy by flex coat seams to work well  1:1 mix  i use a syringe to measure equal parts....stir slowly so to keep air bubbles to a min......stir for 3min. you want the epoxy clear...thats when the two parts are mixed well....some times i mix testors model paint in the mix..or fine metal flake.....just brush it on lightly but uniform......after the plug is coated i put it on a rod dryer motor so the epoxy drys evenly no runs... you also can blow out the bubbles if the show up.......i dont make mass quanitys of plugs and im sure there are better ways ....and like seaviewer said we"ll learn from your question  
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:33:15 AM »
Thanks for the info everyone. I can't wait to get an airbrush and get started.