Author Topic: Separating halves of a hand-carved??  (Read 4819 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Separating halves of a hand-carved??
« on: December 02, 2013, 10:15:51 AM »
How do you separate halves of a hand-carve if you want to build it so you can open it up aftyerward for a thru-wire? I always envisioned having to drill a one-piece plug and pass a wire through but I see a lot of guys with lures made in two separate halves. Any ideas??? Thanks! Andy

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Separating halves of a hand-carved??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 12:07:27 PM »
My machine carves them out one side at a time. You would normally cut two pieces of wood identical and carve them down from there.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 05:52:01 PM »
andy b.... ive done some hand carved  and did a threw wire with out  cutting the swimmer in half    not bad   used one of saltys swimmer bodys.. and shaped it out ...got a good lat work out  while shapeing it in the vise......but there is one person who dose hand carved  almost blind folded....FRANK!!!!! goes buy the name  FJR...... dose some sweet work.....and i mean sweet  his stuff come out better than the diwaw sp minnow  and or repala swimmers.......not sure how he dose the swimmers but he's helped me out  many times
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 10:02:09 AM »
Thanks guys. I am surprised. I could swear I've seen more than one video on the web where someone carved a seemingly 1-piece body and then had 2 halves to carve a channel in. They were clean pieces too so it wasn't cut afterward.

I just figured that would give me the ability to keep the hanger openings smaller because I could fix the ends inside the body before I glued it back together.

I've been wanting to do a hand carve for a year now, so I think this winter is go time! I just have to finish my poppers for my Feb Panama trip first.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 10:51:01 AM »
I have a video that shows this on the cnc machine. It's the making of the banana lure video. There is probably others that do it by hand, you cut the perimeter out at the same time with 2 pc of wood then carve them together. Some will use 2 sided tape, some use staples or brads that can be pulled out and filled later, some preroute the inside then put wire/hardware in etc. then glue.

When you glue them use either Gorilla Glue or CA glue. Many exterior rated glues aren't meant for submersion..
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »
damn andy good luck in panama
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »
Thanks guys. We'll see how it goes.