Author Topic: First attempt at turning some plugs on the new lathe.  (Read 6409 times)

Offline Out Fishing

First attempt at turning some plugs on the new lathe.
« on: February 17, 2015, 08:02:57 PM »
I recently purchased a workbench wood lathe from harbor freight and so far its been treating me pretty well. I've been researching turning plugs for quite sometime now, and today I finally turned my first two lures. The top lure was supposed to imitate a Hula Popper, and the bottom is going to be a pencil popper. The Hula Popper is made from basswood and the pencil popper is made from eastern red cedar. Any critiques would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone could provide some info on how to cut the angle for the pencil popper mouth I'd also appreciate that. Thanks in advance!

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: First attempt at turning some plugs on the new lathe.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 08:22:56 PM »
Very nice! I'd say your are well on your way to fishing those this year. Classic shapes, looks great!
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

keale

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 02:02:42 PM »
I'm a beginner also, looks great. 
Can you give a critique of the Harbor freight Lathe?  Which one did you get?

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 02:17:37 PM »
I'm a beginner also, looks great. 
Can you give a critique of the Harbor freight Lathe?  Which one did you get?

http://m.harborfreight.com/power-tools/woodworking/5-speed-bench-top-wood-lathe-65345.html
This is the lathe that I have and so far I love it. It's very sturdy and feels heavy duty. Some people say they have issues with the alignment of the live center but so far I haven't noticed any issues. Also some people say that generally harbor freight lathe have a odd sized spindle bore however the nova chuck that I purchased was the correct size. The only complaint that I have is the fact that even though it says 5 speed bench top lathe you can't change the speed on a dial or switch. In order to change the speed you have to open the motor and physically adjust the length of the belt. So far the speed that it came with has been working for what I want to do, so no real complaints other then that small detail. If that doesn't bother you then Id definitely recommend this lathe! It does everything I need it to do and it didn't hurt the wallet too bad! If you have any other questions I can probably answer them for you!

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 07:21:31 PM »
That's a decent little lathe and probably made in the same factory as the
More expensive jet mini psi etc etc

It's a solid bed which is important for turning and as
Pointed out its biggest weakness is that you have to manually change the belt on the Pullies.
You really only need one speed for fishing lure turning..balls out fast. Unfortunately you will lose some power in this lathe due to
The size of the drive Pullies.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 08:15:47 PM »
probably still made in the same factory.