Author Topic: What primer and base coat?  (Read 4710 times)

Offline Out Fishing

What primer and base coat?
« on: March 28, 2015, 05:52:59 PM »
new lure builder here. After drilling all the holes and sealing with linseed and mineral spirits, how do I apply the primer? I've tried using a spray can kilz 2 but it takes forever to dry and still didn't cover the imperfections. Should I use water based kilz 2 and thin it out and just dip the lure?

Also, after sealing, should I fine sand the lure before applying primer?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: What primer and base coat?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 06:41:44 PM »
After your lure is dipped you should spray prime with either an alcohol or solvent/oil base primer. Bin sells one in the red can one in the gold can alcohol/oil versions. Both available at Home Depot / Lowes / Local shop.

Primer doesnt hide imperfections it coats over everything. If you have imperfections they need to be fixed back at the wood stage preferably before they are dipped to seal. Plastic wood and sandpaper can hide imperfections, fish don't care!

You can lightly sand with nothing more than a 150 grit. You do not want it too smooth or your primer won't stick.

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 06:48:44 PM »
After your lure is dipped you should spray prime with either an alcohol or solvent/oil base primer. Bin sells one in the red can one in the gold can alcohol/oil versions. Both available at Home Depot / Lowes / Local shop.

Primer doesnt hide imperfections it coats over everything. If you have imperfections they need to be fixed back at the wood stage preferably before they are dipped to seal. Plastic wood and sandpaper can hide imperfections, fish don't care!

You can lightly sand with nothing more than a 150 grit. You do not want it too smooth or your primer won't stick.

Is there a way to thin out the kilz 2? I'd like to use a spray gun as I bought a lot of the kilz 2. If so, what do I thin it with?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 07:39:53 PM »
I'm not sure but it may tell you on the label. I use spray cans when I do them.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts