Author Topic: Help with instructions  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Help with instructions
« on: December 02, 2015, 06:51:53 PM »
Nowhere on the pictorial instructions does it say how to assemble the swivels and the thru wire. Also doesn't say when to install hardware.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Help with instructions
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 08:45:17 PM »
No sorry that's fairly simple and easy to explain but I should have a faq for how many times it's been asked. Someday. 

The wire goes through the front of the lure and as you pass through the belly hole you captivate the swivel opening through the wire while continuing to pass the wire through. Not sure but I think I show this on the youtube wire bending video I did years ago.

You can put the hardware in whenever you like. Some people paint over it, some do it after it's painted and clear coated. Fish don't care...It's all in how you want it to look when it's finished. If you think making it look like a ferrari is more appealing to a fish or you like it better then paint and hardware. If you just want to make something with minimal time and investment and catch the same amount of fish then hardware and paint

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 03:47:59 PM »
I always have trouble capturing the swivels. And if I remember correctly, most of the time I have to squeeze them into a bit of an oval to get them in the drilled holes (only on the one end that goes into the lure!). Give them a good handful of pulls to make sure you captured them. Sometimes they get trapped by the wire but the wire is not actually through the hole. Those will usually pull out if you pull them hard enough. You get a sense of a good one after you do a few. The swivel will actually slide up and down in the hole a little and you can feel the swivel ring tapping the wire. Just some thoughts after building a bunch of these great kits!

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 09:44:35 PM »
Hi Andy hope all is well!

Yes on squeezing the one side slightly, it makes a very nice fit to the barrel when it's in and reduces the slamming back and forth of the swivel being tight like that.

10-4 on the comments of captivating also. I've done it. Even pulling each time I've still missed a few over the years. 2 that I can remember in 14 years anyway LOL it does happen if not careful. You usually find out when that 40lber swims away and you reel your plug in with no swivel or pieces...
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 01:19:54 PM »
Yes thanks! Been good. I hope to be back here with some pics after the holidays. I started hand carving recently after staring at a slab of 2" thick basswood somebody gave me a couple years ago. It certainly scratched an itch.

Merry Christmas to everyone!!