Author Topic: Favorite top coat?  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Favorite top coat?
« on: February 10, 2016, 09:40:36 AM »
Bob Smith Slow Cure is almost impossible to get in NW Canada... not to mention I'm too CHEAP to spend $50+ to get 2 lost fl.ozs of the stuff.  :o
FlexCoat rod wrap is reasonably priced and not too difficult to locate. I've heard it mentioned here a few times. Is it all it cracked up upto be?
A few other plug builders use Varathane products from the hardware store. Furniture grade top coats will survive and last? (I've seen quite a few cracked up plugs)
I'm just looking for alternatives to Bob Smith stuff.  Suggestions??

And the Blabbermouths and Fatheads kick the crap out of the "other guy's " trinkets, 3 to 1... but they're too stubborn to admit it or change.

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Favorite top coat?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 12:46:55 PM »
I have been using System Three Clear Coat for years.  It is used to do fiberglass layups and is extremely durable.  It dries clear but does not build up as thick as Envirotex and therefore does not have the luster that Etex has.  I just got some Etex and will be trying that but the Clear Coat does work well.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 07:35:33 PM »
sys 3 works good but it tends to blush.

What can you get in your local hardware store? Devcon 2 ton is another good one but will need to be thinned like the Bob Smith stuff. Sorry we can't ship that to Canada.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 10:50:46 PM »
I'll look into the Devcon.
Just the standard Min wax and Varathane home reno stuff here. Epoxies are small volume, expensive and been on the shelves too long.
 I'm going to look into the system 3 too - should be able to source that through MarineMart.
Back to the leg work... 

Thanks guys! Beers and BBQ on me if you EVER get up to the Rockies in Alberta 👍

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 06:31:01 PM »
I'll just stick with your rules and stop worrying how long the will last. Cubera and yellowfin tear anything/ everythi g to pieces sooner than later.
 Oil sealer, oil primer, oil paints and oil top coat...
Tung oil and mineral spirits to treat. 3 dips over 2 weeks. Timer dryer (used to be a winter boot dryer).
Minwax spar varnish to seal. 2 coats, 2 days between coats (due to low temp shop).
White primer. 2 coats over 3 days...
I'll get a pic of before AND after I let my son, niece and nephew paint them up.
Should be interesting.

And thanks for helping an old cowboy out...
Your lures are slayers!