Author Topic: Newbie Question - Wood for Plug Building  (Read 6861 times)

yakster

Newbie Question - Wood for Plug Building
« on: February 10, 2010, 02:06:42 PM »
Hello, forum newbie here and sort of new to plug building. That is, I built about 5 or 6 plugs to test for swimming action, weight, castability. Now that I am happy with those aspects (I actually caught a few jersey shore blues on them) I want to build a bunch of plugs for myself.

I have a question about the wood used to make plugs..... I'm ready to take a beating on this but here goes anyway......

I have some leftover 2x2 furring strip from my local mega-mart hardware store. Its probably doug fir. I know that folks don't use this type of wood for plug building but I don't know why. Is it the fact that it is too soft and will absorb water even after sealing?

What would be the best plugmaking wood available to a guy in NJ?

Thanks,
Yakster from the jersey shore

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
Re: Newbie Question - Wood for Plug Building
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 02:49:34 PM »
YO! yakster.....we aint gona beat u up.....u from jersey  ? im from jersey.......u have a good question........well i do cedar, and 1.1/2"  round  bulasters from a lumber yard in pine  and when my plug is all drilled out... i like to soak them in sanding sealer for some time till the air bubbles are gone and the wood sucked up the sealer  and let them dry good.........i dont use hardwoods  lets wait to hear from the rest of the crew.......anyway  what shore in jersey......i fish IBSP, LBI, Brielle, pt pleasant & spring lake.......but i mostly fish IBSP. and betty&nicks is my tackle shop ...last season i hooked up with a bunch of guys from berkly striper club great bunch of guys........i met them on a tagging torny......my favrorite plugs are saltys 2.5 oz blabber mouth popper and that jitterbug looking thing......those are the plugs of choice for 2010
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 02:51:23 PM »
go easy on him numbnuts ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:57:21 PM »
alaskan yellow cedar is the most sought after I believe

yakster

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 03:18:19 PM »
Nice to meet you Handyman. I fish Sandy Hook alot and anywhere between the hook and IBSP. I fish IBSP mostly early and late in the season. We had a great fall at Pt Pleasant and Mantoloking this past year. Had some big gals come through on several mornings. I belong to a fly fishing club in monmouth county and participate in the Enclave every year down at the park.

I'm making poppers and dannys. Whats this jitterbug-looking thing about?

Thanks for the tip on the wood.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 03:51:10 PM »
I'm new to this forum too but have been at plug building for a while.  I use mostly
red cedar and AYC when I can get it for swimmers, pencils etc.  I use hardwoods like maple, birch etc. for needles.  Doug Fir tends to have occasional hard growth rings that can make turning a challenge and drilling a real PITA.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 04:28:11 PM »
i have to agree with great white.....D fur has that hart wood in it thats stinks............Yakster    go to salys ...hit plug building kits and youll spot the wobbler......its a 2.5 oz jitterbug......its sweet.......check it out 8)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 05:17:10 AM »
yakster no beating here this forum is meant for exact questions like this. Most of the big boxes are spruce I believe. While this will work it's not the best of woods, first it's soft/not durable and second has a very open grain structure which tends to draw water in/expand and split. So if you did make lures out of it I would make sure that it's sealed very well.

You may have problems keeping paint on it also because of it's softness/water intrusion problems.

Woods that work well for lure building:
Poppers...
Red Cedar, Yellow Cedar, Port Orford Cedar, Pine, Poplar

Needles
Yellow/Red Birch, Maples both soft and hard, Mahogany (Most mahogany sold in the US is not Mahogany it's Meranti), Cedars can also be used by adding more lead.

Swimmers
Pine, Poplar, Birch, all the cedars listed above, Maples/Birches for divers.

There's lots more options out there too this is just a rough list for you of stuff that works.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

yakster

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 11:33:58 AM »
Thanks all for your generous knowledge sharing.

Salty, I'll see you at the Philly Outdoors show; I'll stop by and say hello. Will you have Surfster style plug lips at the show (10 packs, size medium  ;D)?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
Yep will be there for sure.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• mad scientist
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 03:29:53 AM »
For those interested the Philly Show site is http://www.sportshows.com/Philly_Main.html

Cheers,

Mark