Author Topic: 3 oz. bottle nose  (Read 4767 times)

Offline Out Fishing

3 oz. bottle nose
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:15:11 PM »
 i got a question about the lure, and how to swim it. ipurchaced the kit followed the special instructions sealed it, painted it, wired it up. the whole process. took it out for a swim today, on slow retrieve it came in straight no wiggle favoring on side. recasted, fast retrieve didnt sink. it skipped across the water. now the water was dead calm, does it need current? what did i do wrong??? lol

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: 3 oz. bottle nose
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 04:57:35 AM »
how are you attaching to your line and what's on it for hooks ?
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 07:35:45 AM »
attatched with a break -a -way. the hooks are i believe 3/0 vmc 4x and a 5/0 siwash with a lite bucktail. i was looking at some pictures you have posted, i think that i may have the nose loop on the thru-wire posioned wrong i have it placed vertically not horizontially. if that makes sense.

thanks, Rene

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 08:56:55 AM »
Hooks sound small but that shouldn't be the problem. Nose loop should be horizontal. Plug should sit with the tail down just slightly underwater and the nose out of the water slightly. It should float.  That plug has been on the market as finished for quite some time.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 01:11:55 PM »
i'll change the hook size tweek the nose loop horizontaly even better im gonna replace the thru wire and make sure i put all the wieght in it should hav two 1/4"x1" and the one small grommet wieght you supplied in the kit. and reswim i'll let you know thanks again.

RENE

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 01:28:39 PM »

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 01:30:49 PM »
just fyi less weight in the tail will give it more swimming action but less castability. Something is wrong with the plug or how it's done if it doesn't swim. They're really straightforward.

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 08:56:37 PM »
i had a similar problem on a danny i built couple of years ago...........i tied the bucktail on the tail hook to long  the plug did have some action to it but it just didnt  perform the way i liked
yea i fooled with the lip....messed with the threw wire
finally i clipped the buck tail back closer to the hook bend and that seemed to work

like a kite the longer the tail the less spin  the shorter the tail and the kite spinns
anyway good luck.....im not saying thats your problem just something to look at

that bottle nose is a sweet plug :)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 08:38:20 PM »
i retied the plug, put a shorter buck tail, when i prepped the blank i didnt even really mess with the sanding i was happy with the finish the only other thing i had noticed on the pictorial there is no belly grommet. i put one. anyhow i swam it today slowly it still came in straight, at a frast retrieve it went down 6" and had a sweet wiggle. i have another kit ill pay better attention when preping it, lol thanks again salty & handyman

rene

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 05:04:36 AM »
find that point where it starts to dig and swim and that is the sweet spot.  You can't go as slow with those as a regular metal lip though. It needs water to dig which is what gives it the wiggle.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 06:27:45 PM »
when out today swam the bottle again i seem to have gotten the swim of things,lol she was swimming very nice today. i geuss im just use to metal lippped swimmers. unfortunately i was not able to get any takers better luck next time

rene