Author Topic: Before/Start of a new machine  (Read 159120 times)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Before/Start of a new machine
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2010, 12:40:50 PM »
Few more hours. Roughed out where the stuff is mounted for the rear z axis, fabbed ball screw transition plate. That was not easy in metric keeping track of where everything goes so it bolts up with a 3mm offset.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2010, 12:41:56 PM »
And where it goes...

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2010, 07:41:27 AM »
Another piece done this morning. 3 hours start to finish. There are bearings captivated inside there. I'm going with one bearing support on the roughing axis z ballscrew. Quicker and don't need precision there. An additional shot of where it goes.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2010, 07:42:19 AM »
Have to make a 15mm nut now.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2010, 09:33:09 AM »
woohoo I just found a new german ball screw for $40. Will have to cut it down but it will fit the x axis on the front table. nh guy will ship it for $10 nice!

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2010, 02:18:47 PM »
white arrows are the pieces I got done today, plus have the z axis ball screw setup now too. Pink X is a screwup hole. ugh I forgot I had to offset the rails to clear a screw hole :-[ :-[

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2010, 02:21:26 PM »
What do you do when you need a 15mm metric nut for a ball screw bearing...

you make one.

Find a nut in your junk box. Mill it out and tap it, then machine the end so it only contacts the bearing center not the shield.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2010, 03:39:35 PM »
Going back onto this tomorrow. The x axis ball screw I got came in today. Wish that guy had another. $800 ball screw for $59. Brand new.
 :)

Should have one fully moveable X and Z cross slide table tomorrow and be able to start getting small things like belts measured and ordered. Now can make guards and tooling fixtures when finished height is known.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2010, 04:46:52 PM »
WOW....              You are GOOD!   Did you do an apprenticeship as a machinist, now one by trade...Self taught?  Then on to "Plug Making and Design"?    I can open a beer bottle without an opener...Picked that up in the Army. I'm happy with that. :dance:
Tom C

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2010, 05:23:29 PM »
NEVER done any machining work ever

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2010, 06:20:24 PM »
DAM!!! salty  nice!!!!............i like the fact you made the nut.........i tell u one thing......my sun is building a skateboard press...he builds his own skateboards........hes still setting up the press....he just has to weld a few parts togeather but he did alot of drilling on the drill press ........working with wood is one thing and you get splinters but....  working with metals those splinter are not forgiving..........any way nice pics........cant wait to see the video of that machine working :lurk: .........call that thing  THE RAPTURE........like the dinosaure
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2010, 07:56:42 PM »
guys very talented and highly intelligent, don't let booger fool you.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2010, 09:22:54 PM »
Thanks,
           Funny...

Tom C

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2010, 04:31:27 AM »
jimmy i keep telling you i'm a hack with a bridgeport  ;)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2010, 06:55:23 AM »
So yesterday was just one of those days where everything went to shit. It seemed like it. I made the bearing block twice. ugh. I frigged up on the first one. Had alot of problems logistically getting this screw installed...there's alot to do to make this happen. Everything has to be just right or it will bind at either end of travel. No binding front to back. Had to make another nut too, that's a drill stop in there :)

Finished this up this morning. This is the x axis for the roughing side.