Author Topic: Alaskan Yellow Cedar 6/4 stock is here!  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Alaskan Yellow Cedar 6/4 stock is here!
« on: February 05, 2013, 03:56:05 PM »

Latest load is here, made 2 trips today. Now have 6/4 Alaskan Cedar in 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8' lengths. Can ship 3 and 4' only. Pickup for longer lengths in Central Ma near rt495.

16 pieces will fit in a box. Cost is $1.25 per foot.

Stock is again full squares, VERY nice material for lures. Extremely tight grain.

Next train arrives somewhere around the 2nd week of April. After this I will probably not be pulling any more stock in til Mid summer or early fall.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Alaskan Yellow Cedar 6/4 stock is here!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 10:06:17 AM »
Scott,

Any chance you could become a supplier of Eastern White Pine or Sugar Pine?

Guys are starting to realize many of the great lures by Beachmaster, Musso, Pichney, and Gibbs were pine, thus demand for 6/4 - 8/4 clear, tight grain pine is rising.

Kind of tough to find it- big boxes don't carry it that thick, nor do most of the True Values, Aces, etc..  Saw mills that sell native lumber may have it, but often it sits stickered outdoors in the weather.

Just a thought,
Jon

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:15:10 PM »
Jon good question. I started air drying my own pine about I think 3 maybe 4 years ago so I have alot of northern/eastern white pine in stock. If you need something just ask. I stock ~1000 bf of both 6/4 and 8/4 at a time. Since it's air dried it can sometimes have grey streak in it, I slow dry it ahead of time and it yields some nice stuff. I don't care about grey streak it's going to get painted anyways. We have been using it on alot of the kits for a long time. Our Beachmaster Cowboy Jr/Sr kits are made of this pine.

I have entertained putting it online but the problem is how do you sell it. It's got some knots as any tree does but who can say one square is going to yield you more than 2-3 large plugs out of each 3' piece if you have to cut around knots. If it's got 2 knots in a foot who takes the loss on that.  I cut my squares with stk up to 1/4" and anything larger is rejected. If your willing to cut the knots or an occasional split out it's a nice wood to work with. I try to stay away from the heavier Ponderosa pine stuff. Once in a while one sneaks in on you but since I changed sawmills a few years ago I have gotten some decent stuff.

I considered putting it online with random lengths and just cut around knots.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 02:18:46 PM »
Sugar Pine I can get also easy. I know who and where but it's very cost prohibitive. Last I looked at it was well over $6.50 a bf. You would have to buy 1000 bf at a time minimum.

Not worth it imo. White pine is same buoyancy and finishes identical.