Author Topic: Customer Service The Good the bad and the Ugly...  (Read 181 times)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Customer Service The Good the bad and the Ugly...
« on: May 04, 2018, 05:39:39 pm »
As many know here, we've been in business for 18 years with advertising only by word of mouth. I post about all the great things people say about us. Along with this, every once in a while someone comes along that really gets their panties in a wad that no matter what you do we're wrong. This time this miscreant filed a BBB complaint over $5 in lips.... I'm not afraid to tell the truth here...what follows below is and exact print of the BBB complaint and our response. I'm sure BBB is going to "sanitize" this so I'd like to preserve here. My response is nothing but the facts. This person will now cause irreparable harm to both Denise & myself business. Forever this can now be seen online on the BBB site...Note all entries were put in as shown. Nothing hidden.  I can't believe I just wasted a single moment of time responding to this. My intent here to to have a permanent record so when the online sand throwing starts somewhere this can be referred to. (glad I'm not on fishing forums anymore) At no time was I "short tempered" but I am now... Grab a cup of coffee and enjoy the soap opera.

Customer's original complaint:
I ordered several of the same parts from Saltys, over four separate orders, spaced out over a few months. About 1/3 of the parts are non-conforming. I've encountered this issue on two separate occasions, and both times contacted Saltys for assistance. In my experience, Saltys has reluctant to search for the root cause of the non-conforming parts, and reluctant to take accountability for these mistakes. The only form of customer service is via email, wherein you will be dealing with Scott the company owner. In my experience, Scott has been aggressive, short-tempered and difficult to deal with.

Customers desired resolution:
ExchangeSaltys will work to find the root cause of this recurring mistake, and based on the findings will improve their inspection and/or quality control proceduresSaltys will send me 5 of the correct parts to replace the 5 non-conforming parts I received in my most recent order.

Dear BBB & Stephen Antonelli + all the millions of people who will now see this online forever as a mark against my company. Mr Antonelli purchased from us a total of 5 times from 12/24/17 to 4/18/18, out of 5 orders he complained three times. 18 years manufacturing this product and he is credited with being the only person to ever complain about this part. And heís only ordered 16 miscellaneous in 4 months by my count out of approximately 15000 of this part sold in the last 18 years.
His first complaint was about parts in hand being different. He ordered 4 different sizes. We sent him, at our expense, complete new parts that we inspected for what he complained about. We did not ask for the old parts back. (Iím positive this person took advantage of this and used them on lures he sold for a profit, more on this later). $5 in parts and $9 to ship out of pocket on a $38 order.
His second complaint was about size of nose grommets being different length when purchased 2 packages, 3 months from each other. That was addressed with him at the time also as they are bought whatever length the distributor has in stock. They are minimum 3/16Ē long. For the application they are sold for, length is not critical. (These are $4.29 for a package of 25 pieces) For the record he was also sent a new package of nose grommets also completely at our expense. (I believe he also complained about this this too that he didnít receive them fast enough and I was holding his production up)
The third complaint was accompanied by a picture showing parts of 2 different sizes on 3 lures. Again this order was for multiple sizes which matched the picture. At this point weíve expended time and money to make things correct with this person without success. Mr Antonelli was instructed to return the pieces he was unhappy with per our return policy (even opened) and he would receive 100% credit. A copy of the relevant parts of this return policy linked on every page of the website, via email and on order receipts is below. He responded with some very nasty email at which point we refused to deal with him further and have not received the items being complained about back.
So now heís gone and filed a complaint with the BBB over this. I got back from traveling today and saw this over $5 in items and think this is one of the lowest miscreant things that someone could do. This complaint is going to sit and fester on the BBB website forever now, potentially costing me thousands in sales and a ding on an otherwise good record. (Am not a BBB member and never will be, it is a dues paying organization but yet is allowed to publish trash complaints such as this). 100% 7 day return policy and 18 years in business, thousands of satisfied customers a year worldwide with our only advertising by WORD OF MOUTH. Why did he keep ordering if he was so unhappy? Response not expected nor wanted. Just saying. 
Today Mr Antonelli received his entire $35 credit card charge back for his last order including shipping. Not for the 5 ($1) parts he complained about, for the entire order. Iíll be posting this response on my website for the entire world to see also in case itís on the BBB site edited along with the complaint. He is not getting the resolution he so adamantly desires. He has been told not to contact here again.
We feel that we have gone above and beyond what would be expected to make this customer happy, even accepting a loss. How much more can a person expect than whatís already been done.
Mr Antonelli what is your Federal Excise Tax Exemption number or your Employer ID number to prove youíre legally selling fishing lures? You wouldnít be illegally profiting off sales of fishing lures and committing Federal tax evasion would you? Would love to see even a redacted copy of a IRS Form 637 or a 720Ö.yea we wonít see that will we? Send it to the BBB. Donít hold your breath.
Relevant section of returns policy here:

http://www.saltwaterplugs.com/salespolicies.htm

Returns:
 Decide you don't like a size or color? For all un-opened merchandise in original condition we allow a 7 day no hassle return. Refunds are provided as a store credit.  Click
HERE to see instructions for return.*We cannot accept returns on any open or used product, wood squares, lead, plug bodies or liquids* due to hazmat regulations and re-packaging.It is the customers responsibility to insure, properly re-package, and return ship pieces for return.
 Items that have been opened will not be accepted for return unless it is clearly evident that the package was damaged in shipping.  No claims for damages after 7 days from receipt of package. Salty's will accept returns for replacement of any lures/parts found defective from manufacturing within the first 90 days of purchase.  Product is exchanged/repaired at our discretion.  Returns must be accompanied by a copy of your sales receipt for date verification. This return policy supersedes any return policy offered by your form of payment.  Returns for problems are VERY few and far between but given the volume our shop puts out it's possible to occasionally have a problem with a lure/part-we're human and can miss something (although we try REAL hard not to). 
 If a lure/part is deemed defective and cannot be repaired we will ship you a replacement at no extra charge to you.
  Returns for any other reason are not accepted. 
 Occasionally we may ship a lure of the wrong color or type, if this should happen please accept our sincere apologies, we do sometimes make mistakes and we're happy to make it right, please contact us asap.

Damage from fishing, ie rocks, bluefish, etc is considered normal wear and tear and not a defect. As our lures are hand-made there can be minor imperfections, grain, etc that does not affect their use-ability and adds to the character of the lure. We very closely inspect every lure and any that don't meet our quality control are marked as a blem or marked up as a mackerel back lure to distinguish it from first class product. Any kits that don't meet our quality control standards are discarded or sold by the box on our lure forum.  Blemished lures are sold from time to time and they are minor paint blems or slight misdrills etc, these lures are sold as is without any warranty implied...and the price reflects this. We sell blemishes only when available and at shows. Online pictorials are guides for kit assembly only. We reserve the right to make changes to any of our lures without notice.  Submission of an order is an acknowledgement of the receipt and acceptance of our terms and conditions. A link to these sales policies is posted at the bottom of every page of the cart.  Submission of an order on the website acknowledges you have read these sales policies and agree to abide by their terms.
 Sportfishing Excise Tax All items under 150lb test are subject to the Federal sportfishing excise tax. Items which are exempt such as wood squares and other misc items on the site are not subject to the excise tax. If you are excise tax exempt (form 637) we need a copy of this form filled out and emailed or faxed to us with your order: Excise Exemption Certificate  Some people don't understand what the excise tax is...it is administered by the IRS for the purpose of raising money for your local state fish & wildlife programs. It funds access, stocking programs, enforcement, kids programs etc. Unfortunately there's many who skirt the tax operating out of their basements and garages and it hurts all fishermen. As a legal US manufacturer of fishing tackle we are required to collect and pay this tax on every item we sell that can embellish, increase the effectiveness of, improve the durability or appearance of any lure whether it has hooks or not, or is normally a product used in fishing. We break the tax out from each item to show it as a separate line item. Excise tax is paid on the constructive sales price of each item. Monies collected are given to your states F&W funds by the IRS and cannot be used for general state business. More information can be obtained here:  http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Field-Directive-Federal-Excise-Tax-on-the-Importation-and-Manufacture-of-Fishing-and-Archery-Products
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Customer Service The Good the bad and the Ugly...
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 12:39:13 pm »
FOR A FEW DOLLARS.

LIFE IS TOO SHORT.

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts