Author Topic: New Lures!  (Read 7646 times)

Offline Out Fishing

New Lures!
« on: July 22, 2011, 11:02:56 PM »
Hey everyone, just wanted to post some pictures of two lures that I just made. They are the first ones i have ever made and I carved them by hand (no lathe). Thank you Salty for all your supplies. Everything worked great. Cannot wait to try and fish these on the Cape.

ps...the color on the small plug is blue not black

Gimme some input!

-Scott

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: New Lures!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 04:51:44 AM »
very nice!
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 08:03:52 AM »
Very nice I'm liking that blue one.

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 10:28:18 AM »
HOLY CRAP!!!!!..........NICE DUDE.... say if your hand carving plugs like that .........you should have no problem hand carving swimmers blindfolded.........nice work........this winter im gona start carving swimmers.......and salty has lips for swimmers........... oops sorry!!.......i ment to say salty has lip hardware(parts) for hand carved swimmers.......check them out ;D
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 11:55:43 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys I really appreciate it. I do have a few questions as I just put my new mini lathe to use today. I made two plugs both 1" in diameter and 5" long out of the maple. The shape is very basic as it looks much like Salty's Big Mouth Poppers. I drilled the hole for the belly grommet right in the middle (2.5" from nose). Just wondering how you would weight this lure? Is there a general way to weight lures that is easy to understand? Also does treble hook placement really matter? I assumed center was fine.

Last question, what is an easy way to sharpen your lathe tools.

-Scott

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 08:12:33 AM »
I am a firm believer in not handing stuff to people on a silver platter. Always have been...it's how you learn...

Wood is cheap. Take a piece, drill it, seal it, then take it down to the water and see first how it sits...then see how it does what you want it to do. In this case pop and throw water..Use rubber bands and weights to simulate putting a weight into the body at different places. Bring split rings, pliers and different size hooks. Be prepared to be disappointed. It probably won't do what you want the first time.

Go back and do it again :) That's the fun of it.

When your satisfied with your understanding of what a pencil popper, or a big mouth popper, needlefish, or swimmer does then you'll answer every question you just asked. There isn't one just "generic" placement of hooks and weights. It's how they work in tandem with the action that plug should have.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 08:14:03 AM »
And don't take anything I just said wrongly.

Sharpen your tooling...a white wheel is best. Some guys hone them on leather also.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 08:17:22 AM »
woodcraft.com has alot of sharping stuff. There are specific jog systems available too if you really want to do it right.

I started out with a hand hone, then bought a used white wheel and now I have a 6x12 surface grinder with a magnetic chuck. Spins a precise wheel at a gazillion rpm. I use it for punch tooling but have put lathe tooling on it also. THAT is the ultimate setup but it weighs 1000 lbs and needs 3 phase :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 07:15:54 PM »
wad up scottr6860.........well maple???.....speaking for myself......i like to use cedar for my poppers,surfsters,dannys, pencil poppers....only for staying up on the surface....and a slow retrieve on the dannys and surfsters........i like to use pine some times for surfsters just so they get down a little deeper......i would use hardwoods for needles.......most all of my plugs are tail weighted cause i like to see my plugs shoot stright threw the wind not like a hellocopter perpeller......most of my plugs scale out to 1.5oz......except for a few penciles 2.0-2.5oz......you can fill up a small bucket to test how the plug will sit in the water.....and like salty said get it to sit even  in the water......or take them to a pond to see how the swim or how they push water......i was working on a spooke one time testing it out in a friend of mine's pond   thing just wasnt swimming right....so i went back to the shop and lathed out another one in cedar.....took it back to the pond.... and of course my friend dont like you hookin his bass so i used sergical tubeing on the hooks........man you want to see bass attack a spook...this spook was ziggin and zaggin all across the pond...... the problem was i used pine the first time around ....and the spook wanted to dig down......oh!!!! i dont like to use trebbel hooks on the rear of my plugs... just siwash

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 01:15:30 PM »
Like everyone said if you want plugs to do what you want its all trial and error I don't turn my own just yet I'm content with kits and the wood bodies Scott sells and play around with them and try reshaping their bodies or weighting them different some go in the burning barrle and some I've got on the side until I can fish again like he said wood is not that $$$$.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
Thanks guys really appreciate all the help and I agree that maybe trial and error is the best way. I have turned 5 lures on the new lathe and it is awesome. The lathe I got is perfect for lure making and only 160 bucks!

Heading to NJ tomorrow to fish the White Marlin Invitational thrusday-sunday. WIsh me luck

Scott

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 08:01:19 AM »
YOU GO .....Scottr6860...............hook'em up!!

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 09:55:11 AM »
Good luck :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 02:47:20 PM »
Gonna need some luck. A 22 year old dropping 1,700 on a 3 day tourny haha oh the things you will do for fishing

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 04:53:06 PM »
I hear that............post a few pics of your adventure...........got to see what im missing..........good luck kid