Author Topic: Alternative To Two Part Epoxy Topcoat  (Read 16262 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Alternative To Two Part Epoxy Topcoat
« on: January 27, 2012, 11:35:06 AM »
I've been into the lure making hobby for about a year now and have made at least a few dozen lures, some from salty's kits and other from my own wood turnings.  I'm really enjoying making (and fishing) my own wooden lures, but the only step in the process that I still find cumbersome is the finish top coat.  I'm looking for a good one-step product....I've used Flexcoat on many of my lures as well as the Devcon Two Part Epoxy (Syringe).

I just came across this product on the web called Seal Coat from CS Coatings....www.csipaint.com.....has anyone ever used it or know anything about it?

Their website touts it as one-step system that is as strong as epoxy without the measuring, mess and smell.  It also says that the finish is extremely durable, high gloss, non-yellowing and fast drying....sounds like everything we need.

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Alternative To Two Part Epoxy Topcoat
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:42:38 PM »
Hi Rich,
I Use envirotex lite, works really well in one coat. You can put it on really heavy if you have some type of rotisserie to keep it leveled out.http://eti-usa.com/envirotex-lite/
 You can just hang the lure too and do a thinner coat to avoid big drips. There will always be a couple globs on the ends when you hang them but you can just cut them off with a razor knife and round it off with sandpaper.
  The low rpm motors from xmas yard ornaments work great for the rotisserie. I have one from a reindeer thats head nodded up and down...it's probably 20rpm or so. 

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 12:58:18 PM »
Thanks for that TopFeed..I've never heard of that product before but will keep it in mind..looks like it's a two part system as well.  The Seal Coat product that I posted about is a one part system, no mixing required...just don't know if it will be as good as the two part products long term.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 02:41:59 PM »
Richie don't waste your time. It doesn't work. Better yet go buy some and tell me how to make it work :) It's a poly that doesnt withstand water very well. It really stinks in all honesty. Their paint works good but if you dip a lure in it and let it dry for even 3-4 weeks it will turn milky colored when water gets to it. If left in water it gets gooey. BAD JOOJOO. VERY bad jujoo. Total paint failure right to the bottom coat at that point.

Any lacquer sanding sealer is probably one of the best things you could use to seal, paint with createx let dry and use either two coats of thinned KBS diamond finish or a thinned light coat of Devcon two ton epoxy in no less than 30 minute formula.  User use caution. All have safety precautions to take and observe. Use it outside or in your garage away from sources for ignition. Read the can. Most states now you can't buy gallons of the good things anymore. So buy 4 quarts and pay 5x more. Stupid lawmakers.

I myself try and stay away from recommending stuff and tell people that up front. If whatever you do doesn't work then your unhappy with me. God knows there's enough people out there already unhappy with me..I don't need to add to the list :)

Any rod epoxy works very well also, this is basically what Envirotex is. These finishes have a flexability to them so they work best on lures when your trying to work with water intrusion.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 03:11:24 PM »
Thanks Salty....I kind of thought is was too good to be true.....I do seal my lures with the Zinsser Seal Coat Sanding Sealer always...before I paint and finish.

I use Createx Auto Air Paints and either Flexcoat or Devcon for the finish clear coat.  I've been happy with the results I get from both, but was just looking for something that was a one part system, so no mixing or something from a spray can........any opinions/thoughts on using automotive clear coats from a spray can, like Varathane Diamond Finish Clear Coat?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 03:23:06 PM »
Well if your really interested in one part then get some KBS Diamond finish, use their thinner also. I tried this a while ago and it works well, sucks to store it's moisture cure. It bubbles in any areas of puddling. It does spray well when thinned. It bubbles. Oh did I mention it bubbles? Two coats of that stuff is bulletproof. But it bubbles.

There are a few commercial lure builders using it that I turn for. I've recommended that stuff before. Just sucks cuz it needs two coats.

You can't paint the stuff...it's graffiti proof paint... clear.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 02:59:39 PM »
Well that KBS Diamond finish might be an alternative....but do you think it bubbles ???

(Maybe mixing and brushing on two part epoxy isn't so bad after all)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 04:20:06 PM »
The messed up part is it only bubbles where the finish is thick. So if you hang it then it will have bubbles on the thick booger at the bottom. If you flip the things it makes the finish lumpy. It's really designed to paint a wall that has been vandalized so it can't be painted again not for fishing lures but if you can keep the coating this enough it works pretty well with two coats. It just really stinks to store.

And it bubbles :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 10:31:12 AM »
me farts bubble

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 12:31:48 PM »
We know this already