Author Topic: Peeling spar varnish  (Read 6285 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Peeling spar varnish
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:12:59 AM »
I finished a couple Conrad Jr. kits over the winter & they turned out really nice.  I have a problem though.  I followed the generic instructions on the Salty website for finishing the lures .  My problem is that after two uses in the water (Hudson river so no salt), the outside coat of spar varnish is peeling off the lures in big sheets.  The paint I used was a water based acrylic (air brushed) and then put two coats of spar varnish on top of the paint as recommended in Satly's instructions.  But for some reason the varnish is not adhering at all once exposed to water.

What did I do wrong that the spar varnish is peeling off, and what can I do to refinish these so the varnish stays on?  I was thinking about roughing up the paint coat a little with fine sandpaper, but I don’t want to ruin the paint job either.  Maybe strip off the spar varnish and try a polyeurathane or epoxy coat? 

Any input appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Peeling spar varnish
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 12:39:13 PM »
Chris beyond what I sent for comments by email here is some other thoughts...what some have done when having problems like this is to seal, prime, paint as normal but wash the lure with denatured alcohol while wearing gloves then after drying hit the lure with what's called a "scratchcoat" using a coat of krylon or fixative type spray to set a base for the clear. This allows you to put a layer on which can be then "scratched" with fine sandpaper to allow the topcoat to bind to below. You'll find alot of paints have some aluminum flake in them which doesn't take well to a top coat. Some paints are very slippery when dry...gloss makes hardness. Once the lure is sealed and preferably even before that, gloves are an absolute must. Finger oils can cause all kinds of problems, soaps, lotions (i know this one firsthand) all kinds of stuff can cause problems like this.

The higher the gloss the harder the finish and the harder to make something stick to it. This is true of all coatings.

How old was the urethane?
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
cris i like to seal my plugs with waterlux wood sealer first.... after all drilling is complete.....let it cure over night then prime my plug with rust-oleum primer.....let it cure over night.......then lightly sand and tac cloth the dust off sanding smooths out the any dust particals.....now spray your plug with your  water based paint....createx/autoair......let it cure over night put your belly gromett in with 5min epoxy and your eyes......head to your spinner and attach your plug into it now i use 2-part epoxy flex coat rod finish or e-tex.......this way i know its water proof......remember if all the steps are not cured fully chances are the plug will peal.....cant rush any process......good luck
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 07:13:50 PM »
guys, last weekend i tried some of my plugs that have never been in the water before. i didnt catch any. they are big lures and we caught everything on shiners. anyway i was looking at the plugs today and they have dry spots in the epoxy. that batch was the first that i didnt touch after i started to paint. next batch (which came in early this week...thanks scott) i am gonna try the denatured alcohol trick, and gonna check my gloves make sure there is no stuff(aloe,lotion,powder) on 'em. i use the flex coat with the syringes. i am pretty careful measuring and mixing. the epoxy that sets is plenty hard, they just have some fisheyes. ill update when i get to that point. i took pics but i cant see the dry spots in the pics, so no .... :nopics:
I could see the bridge was lined with bears, but I didn't have a dog gone dime.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 11:10:53 AM »
Thanks for the input.  The spar varnish I used was new.  However, I wasn't careful at all about cleaning my hands, using gloves etc as I had no clue!  So good lesson learned there.  I guess at this point I'll try and strip off the peeling spar varnish and try the fixative spray suggested, scratch it and then revarnish.

I'm also considering using an expoxy seal instead of spar varnish but I'll see.  Thanks again!

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 12:28:43 PM »
Epoxy is a much better choice

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 12:29:12 PM »
30 min or longer not 5 miñ

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 08:15:15 AM »
yea go with epoxy.......e-tex or flex coat  make a small spinner or like salty said 30min devcon but id spinn the plug to reduse sags
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent