Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 5828 times)

Offline Out Fishing

New to the forum
« on: June 01, 2012, 07:24:26 AM »
Hello everyone, Just thought I would chime in and say Hi, I'm new to the forum and just started building plugs. I am a long time fly tyer, rod builder, jig maker so I thought its time to add the next logical thing to my arsenal. The airbrush is a new thing to me but I'll get it figured out.I am currently trying to figure out the best completion process. I see that there are several fans of waterlox for a sealer, I can not by this local. Is the zissler seal coat just as good or should I order the Waterlox? For my first plug I used some sanding sealer then I primed with krylon white. I painted it with createx then applied epoxy rod finish. Turned out ok but I am unsure of the durability of the sand sealer. I am also concerned with the combination of products that I used, if some one could verify these products are ok to use with one another I would appreciate it.Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
DW 

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 03:03:31 PM »
Welcome DW

http://www.waterlox.com/how-to-buy/

That I think will help you find their product. Not sure what state your in.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 07:30:17 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I'm in Texas, no problem ordering it. Does the rest of what I'm using make sense? I just want my plugs to last as long as possible , of course it a fish destroys it that's all good! We have some curious black tip sharks down here teeth= all bets are off :D

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 08:37:02 AM »
I'd scratch the krylon and use bin gold can spray primer which is oil based. Then use createx air brush paint and Devcon 2 ton or envirotex.

I don't make recommendations on finishes so if something doesn't work don't blame me please.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 07:18:19 AM »
Is Envirotex Lite what you guys are using?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 09:31:07 AM »
Who guys,me? If so good luck finding that out :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 08:48:35 AM »
guys was meant in general. The reason I ask is I did not see a standard on my search.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 09:28:19 AM »
There isn't a "standard" persay some guys like one hints hint or another and some products work for one and not for another. I would prefer to stay away from specifically recommending products for a number of reasons

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 10:18:07 PM »
Ok I see, I am  rod builder and in most finishes you have the option of regular or lite versions for epoxy finish. I prefer the standard finishes for rod building as opposed to the lite finishes. I recently purchased some enviro-tex  lite at the local hobby lobby sense it is cheaper than the rod finishes. I see that you guys get lots of finish and prep questions and ya'll are good at keeping it neutral. I get that! I just want to build durable plugs and I think I have what I need to start experimenting. Thank you for all your input.

Dean

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 06:10:29 AM »
DW if you got rod epoxy you got some nice stuff to make lures with too. Aftcote etc all are virtually identical to what envirotex does. Some probably even better...

All these products have been used with good success to coat lures....it's the little details that always seem to get guys doing this. Like handling the lure and leaving oily fingerprints...makes fisheyes in the epoxy finish, different things like that. I've seen people refer to making plugs as being the same as making a ferrari....but remember the fish don't care....and your throwing something into one of the most vile and dangerous places in the world to things that have huge jaws with incredible strength etc...no matter what you do it ain't gonna last

So where do you draw the line :)
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 09:21:17 PM »
DW.........wad up yo!!i use flexcoat......high or light build it dont make no diff to me but all your prep work must be dry dont rush sealing dry time.......primer, paint, :wink:
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 09:39:47 PM »
Yea I know nothing lasts for ever but I just want to to the best I can within reason. Envirotex is cheaper so I'll use it, it works the same and I can do a nice job. Down here in Texas land most the fun stuff to catch has a mouth full of teeth. The king fish race at your bait and attempt to rip it in half on the first pass,  haha this doesn't lend well to plug finishes, It is kind of a show of pride down here to compare chewed up baits in camp while having a couple cold ones. Then we have the good ole' curious black tip shark that likes to hit plugs occasionally, enough said. I don't mind plugs getting destroyed by fish, I just don't want the plug to become worthless due to my processes. This site has helped curve some of the experimental time and I appreciate that, the waterlox works real good, I tested this stuff on a scrap piece of pot. cedar and the penetration was excellent the rest is just paint and exo-skeleton more or less. Thanks for all the help, I look forward to participating in this forum. 

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »
DW  great to have ya on the site aswell..........dont be afraid to ask Questions
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent