Author Topic: Problem withe createx wicked  (Read 11901 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Problem withe createx wicked
« on: March 21, 2013, 08:06:02 PM »
I tried using Createx Wicked and I have been having problems. After spray on my primed plug the   paint separates and looks like a snake skin . I sanded and cleaned with wax and grease remover. I believe it is a temp issue. My basement is 60 degrees. I am guessing this paint works better at higher temps. I have had no problem with enamels and lacquers.   

Any thoughts?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Problem withe createx wicked
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 08:17:25 PM »
It sounds like your saying it splits apart if that is the case something underneath it doesn't like it or is not fully dry.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 09:03:09 PM »
I use Minwax sanding sealer and Rustoleum ultra cover primer. The Minwax I let dry for a few day. With the primer I let one sit for a few days and one was 24 hours. The paint laid smooth then split and gathered. Usually a wax or grease issue. Does Minwax have oils in it?

Thank you for replies

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 05:41:26 AM »
Some sealers have wax in them but I think you have something else here. There's a solvent under your paint that is causing it to separate.

Take a piece of wood and seal like normal, then change your primer to something else. Then paint and see if it happens again. If it does then you know it's the sealer being incompatible with either the primer or the paint...
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 06:26:56 AM »
Thank you. I will try switching out primer and sealer.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 08:03:24 AM »
Minwax Sanding Sealer (Yellow or Black Can) (Resin based, good with multiple dips by itself) Try to stay away from shellac based sanding sealers. Lacquer sealer is the best (black can)

I use the black can. I knew I saw this one somewhere. What is your primer of preference?

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 09:43:53 AM »
Are you using spray cans?

I recently had one crack up on me because I didn't wait the full 48 hours for my top paint coat  to dry (as the Rustoleum can stated). I figured a day was long enough and I sprayed a clear coat over it  :bash:

I wanted to make sure that was the reason for the cracking so I tested it out on an old piece of wood and I got the same result after 24 hours.

Lesson learned.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 09:57:33 AM »
Bin primer in red can works well...

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 12:20:45 PM »
I see bin and bulls eye 1-2-3 are water base.

Thank you for the help.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 12:26:59 PM »
NEGATIVE

bin in a red spray can is ALCOHOL based

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »
spray can

i don't know what's in a brush can.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 12:35:49 PM »
I looked at the spec sheet for gallon cans.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 12:54:12 PM »
There is ethanol in the product but it can be thinned with water. I will stick with the one you sugested.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 12:57:10 PM »
There is solvent in every paint if you looked at the ingredients. Latex/water based is usually ethylene glycol

I would try some of the bin red spray can. It's a shellac based primer also.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 01:06:46 PM »
many of use probably do not look at what is in the can until there is a problem.

point and spray

Thank you for you help.