Author Topic: need help  (Read 4027 times)

Offline Out Fishing

need help
« on: May 19, 2013, 06:14:51 AM »
i want to start using an air brush no nothing about them looked on dixie art more confused now whats a decent set ub for a dub like me to start with who has never used anything more than a spray can or a brush
as life goes on things get taken from you live for today yesterday is gone and tomorrow isn't here yet go fishing

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
Re: need help
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 11:01:04 AM »
well haddock speaking for myself i like the iwata eclips hp.........easy the clean and rebuild if need be.......but ya might want to pm the guys who paint those helmets......they got some real experance
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

Re: need help
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 06:39:26 PM »
I use 2 different airbrushes, but both are dual action (1st action: press down for air. 2nd action: pull back for paint.), this is what you want and need. I spray at 70 psi to avoid clogging the tip of the airbrush. The choice for having a dual action airbrush will allow variations in controlling your paint's output. I can spray a line so thin it would look like a hair strand, but I can spray a wide width of about 2" - 3" for max coverage depending on how far away I am from the lure blank.

Here is one of my main "guns":

This is an Iwata HP-C ($193) - the absolute best for detail work. I use this for small jobs (lure blanks and other things). The beauty of this gun is the tiny 1 oz. reservoir cup on top of the gun (gravity fed, permanently fixed), is perfect for small jobs like lure painting, and model car detailing. It's also a top choice among custom painting Hot Wheels diecast miniatures. Since there is such a small area to paint, you would only need to use a small amount (½ cup) to paint the lure's body. This would be THE ideal gun to get. Made in Japan, unreal quality.

Go here to Coast Airbrush: http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=H4001

And, I also use this one too, the Iwata HP-BCS Eclipse ($101), which is another nice gun, I use this for medium jobs (shirts, helmets, auto parts, etc.). Though this is nice gun, you would need a small bottle attached to the underside of the gun (vacuum fed). It would be another expense for one, and a pain in the butt to change out different colors. But, it is far more inexpensive than the first gun above. Also made in Japan.

Go here to Coast Airbrush: http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ECL2000

Not all my airbrushes are Iwatas, I also use this one for helmets, shirts, and other things. It's a Thayer & Chandler Vega 2000 w/ Fine tip, ($58, vacuum fed). This is one of my all-time favorites! Very inexpensive and a workhorse too. A thin body, like a pencil, but a nice smooth flow, like an Iwata - but without the high price tag. An American made gun and a great quality gun for the price - I have 2 of these, one is over 25 yrs old, and I've never broken it!

Go here to Coast Airbrush: http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=T61

Anything you need, just ask.

- Jeff