Author Topic: Lure Design Questions  (Read 5296 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Lure Design Questions
« on: May 23, 2013, 08:26:34 PM »
I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find information about the basic logic behind different lure design choices like lips and weighting and loop placement. For example. What does a different line attachment point (like in the nose versus under or above the nose) cause the lure to do. The same thing for lip size, angle, and placement. Or even what different amounts of weight at different placements would do to the action.

I have been wanting to try hand carving a swimming plug (fish shaped) but have no idea how the different choices above would cause the lure to behave. I'm sure I could guess at some of these things but I would rather be a little smarter to begin with. I'm not looking for trade secrets or anything, but I have to believe that by now, there must be some article on the web or the like that lays out the general characteristics of all these things!?

Can anyone help?

Thanks!! Andy

Offline Out Fishing

• I have a fishing equip. addiction please help
Re: Lure Design Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »
there are some howto type books out check barnes and noble web site. Also Saltys kits are a good way to start also gives you a feel of were to start out on your own. the hand carved ones bottom of the kit page

Dan
"feel the bite"

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 09:18:43 PM »
yea andy....if you like to start hand carving  get the swimmer kit from saltys....ive done a few of them and they swim great........
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 09:42:35 PM »
Hey Andy, like Dan said there are some books on lure making....but none I have found With layout dimensions, Unfortunately what I have found is a lot of trial and error, But with that I found a greater Sense of accomplishment......When you get it right. lol I recently attempted to make A spook style bait, Once I came up with a body size and shape I was happy with, I then began to experiment with Weight sizes and positions, I made two Baits That I thought would get me in the ballpark, Tested them in the sink, And then took them for a swim, It just so happened that the first one I made was dead on! I had a smile on my face for about a day and a half..... Now that I think about it I still grin every time I think about that plug. I truly enjoy every facet of plug building But I think experimentation is my favorite part. Taking different styles and ideas and melding them together to come up with something of your own Or being able to replicate your favorite plug There's just something about it that's so rewarding, I am more than willing to share Anything that I have figured out or the Dimensions of the plugs that I build with you, After all isn't that what we're all on here for, Rich

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 05:40:33 AM »
What he said ^

If you learn what does what you will have alot more fun making them.

I detest giving this stuff to people on a silver platter. Trial and error....best way to learn.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 08:17:07 AM »
OK, thanks! I'm going to have a go at it. I have a few drawings already, I just need to sit down and carve a couple. Stay tuned.

PS. I did buy one of the kits a while back and still have it. Just haven't gotten around to building it yet. But I think I am going to try carving something myself first. We'll see what happens!

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 10:40:21 AM »
i use to build my own bucktail jigs from pouring to finishing them then go fish them its a good feeling catching fish on a lure u made same goes for saltys kits u take the basics and make it into something an go catch the fish ill be getting some of scotts carving kits next good luck have fun doing it
as life goes on things get taken from you live for today yesterday is gone and tomorrow isn't here yet go fishing