Author Topic: Bass Oreno Body?  (Read 11899 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Bass Oreno Body?
« on: January 11, 2013, 02:15:20 PM »
Hello to all,

Luhr Jensen, which was the company making the Bass Oreno, has discontinued this lure...after 96 years.  I have spent much time and effort trying to track down a company that makes a clone of this iconic lure with no luck.  I then spent as much time trying to find a company that made a "Bass Oreno" type body, so far with no luck.

I was glad to find Salty's website, and I am wondering if anyone has any input on fashioning a Bass Oreno type plug.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Bass Oreno Body?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »
By the way, here is a picture of a Bass Oreno:

Fred Arbogast has also continued the Sputterfuss, but I see the makings of those already listed on this website ;)

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 04:25:10 PM »
damb thing looks close to a darter.......nice plug i like the front end.........boy fred Arbogast.........theres and old name
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 04:37:33 PM »
I believe the Bass Oreno has always been made of wood throughout its existence.  The taper on the back end has been changed three times, with many claiming that one taper is / was superior to the other.  Since I have never fished with the older, more tapered models, I won't comment on what I don't know. 

People who have fished with the original wooden Lazy Ike when it was made by "Kautzky" claimed they were more lively as well.  Again, I can't say, because the only one to which I had access was in my father's tacklebox, and those were off limits to my brothers and myself.  We were consigned to using 30ยข Marathon spoons for pike fishing on our vacation, due to our numerous casts into trees, snags, and lily pads.  That kind of casting accuracy precluded my father from a willingness to share what few lures he owned.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 03:57:01 PM »
There were 3 models of the oreno:
- 1/4 oz: spin-oreno - great smallmouth lure; even caught very large bluegills with this size
- 3/8 oz: bass-oreno - everything
- 5/8 oz: babe-oreno - large pike, musky, stripers
All were made of wood (pine I think) and came in about 8 different color schemes.  I always had the best luck with the basic red/white.  I have 2 left and I'm not using them for Anything until someone produces them again.

Luhr-Jehnsen bought the rights to it and produced some into the early 90-s.  They made them of plastic though and they didn't have the same action.  I think they sold the rights to someone else but I don't have that company's name.

There are other sites which have the exact dimensions of the bass-model.  You will need a lathe (with a  duplicator tool if you have an oreno), a drill press, some dowels and most importantly those hook straps with the tiny screws as well as the large eye screw.  Remember that the tail hardware is different than the belly hardware.  None if this makes any sense to try if you can't get the hardware.

I'm sure South Bend had the turning equipment but it's long gone by now.  You make a pair of lures at a time:
- cut a length of dowel a bit longer than twice as long as one lure.
- start in the exact center and work out to each end, tapering as you go.
- in the exact center, using a drill press, drill a 60 degree angle through the wood with the right diameter bit (matches the lip diameter).  I sense SB might have had a drill-type grinder or sander for this step.
- you may have to cut the two apart at the hole but you'll have 2 lures at once.
- cut the tail ends to size.
- sand them down, prime them, paint them and put the hooks & eye screw on.

Simple, right????  lol

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 05:49:28 PM »
LOL Better check the kit page  ;D
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 05:53:35 PM »
This is a 1 Oz version THRU WIRED for saltwater....

http://www.saltwaterplugs.com/1%20oz%20little%20buggereno%20kit.htm

3/4 Oz freshwater version will be up on the site soon as will the 3 Oz THRU WIRED saltwater version...

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts