Author Topic: Welcome!  (Read 41312 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Welcome!
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 09:52:06 PM »
Welcome Striperman! Thanks for the positive comments!

thanx, and good both at the show on saturday at the coliseum  ;D picked up alot from your both ;D

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 01:40:04 PM »
thanks for the business. We'll be back down there but in Philly the last weekend of the month.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 01:40:23 PM »
how did you like the show btw?
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 03:42:21 PM »
how did you like the show btw?

i personally liked the show :), first year i whent to this one after hearing that they made it alot better and i would definetly go again 8)

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Welcome! New to site.
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 10:03:31 PM »
Just got back from the expo in Wustah.  I have seen Salty's plugs around for a few years now and have only used a few of them.  I got to looking around and saw the lure kits  and though it would be a great way of easing the pain of waiting for the spring migration.   I was wondering if some one could tell me what are the must haves in my tool box for building these lures.  I cannot wait to start building these.   Oh and not only did I get two awesome lure kits  but my son got hooked up with a nice homemade chocolate bass.

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 04:20:49 AM »
welcome BIGLOU...............mmmm chocolate stripers..........well if your just starting out on kits  a good pair of dikes  roundnose pliers,  splitring  pliers, channellocks  for bending hook eyes closed, some guys use knipex pliers, watch saltys vid on how to bend the threw wire for the tail hook, devcon 5min epoxy, a good woodsealer[waterlox marine or zinnser sanding sealer] primer, spray paint, or airbrush and paint,......i use flexcoat two part or devcon 30min epoxies and i spin my finished plugs on a rod dryer to prevent sags........but once the addiction takes over will discuss the heavey duty tools..............building plugs is a good father/son project   good luck  and welcome to the forum. :)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 06:19:27 AM »
Couldn't have said it better than Handy. Handy your hired :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 09:21:35 AM »
thanks salt!!

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 10:24:10 AM »
Awesome.  Thanks for the info.  I gotta go pick up a few of these things  mostly the paint and epoxy.   My son is 2 so I will have a few year to try to learn as much as i can about building lures before I  show him.  I'm sure I will have plenty of questions so I will be on her allot.   Thanks again.

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 01:35:17 PM »
oh God I hope there some stripers left for me. welcome by the way  :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 01:51:22 PM »
hay say as i recall numbnuts  you said last year you had a stash  under the seat of you truck for on the way home from the somerset show.....prolly all melted into a big COW FLOP   unless you devoured them before you got home...........and forgot your wifes chair at the show :D

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 09:22:01 AM »
Great site.. More videos please... Aspiring builder looking for visuals. 

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2013, 01:49:05 PM »
What would you like videos on? I'm not a video person or a public speaker but if you can tell me what you'd like to see I'll work on it.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2015, 08:56:24 PM »
WELCOME BUZZARD  :sofa:

LOL

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 09:29:15 PM »
Thanks for the welcome words.  I appreciate it.  I an new to wooden lure making having made just two last season, but have become more interested and active so far this season which is approaching us here in Marblehead MA.  My objective in taking up the art of lure making is to use the materials, techniques, and tools resident in my shop.  I am a carpenter specializing in the restoration of antique wooden windows and doors so I have some basics well down already.  But this lure making is challenging and I look forward to learning much from this site.

At first I was somewhat intimidated by the fine detail, equipment and techniques I saw necessary to produce such beautiful lures that I see people make.  Then I said "What the hell?" and aimed at making "classic" lures as simple as possible using simple materials and simple techniques.  I guess you could say I'm just a simple minded guy.

So I have proceeded without a lathe (I can make squares round), an airbrush (I use rattle cans), and none of the paraphernalia like clamps, rollers, etc.  Just keeping it simple.  Last season I made two plugs, one dark for night time fishing (my favorite), and one yellow for day.  Both worked well in the water, caught as many fish as purchased plugs, and with repairs are still here.  Both made with screw eyes, rattle paint, glitter, but good hooks.  I caught some nice fish on these two lures and am impressed with how well they held up and performed.  There is a picture of The Dark Knight and Tweety Bird so I named them.  Both made from Oak, linseed oil, glitter spray, color and clear coat.

After the fall season in '17 I started to fiddle with making shapes using my shop tools and studying better techniques and hardwares to use.  A lot of reading what others have done has led me to make about thirty plugs so far again just using simple techniques and materials but respecting basic shapes, colors and rigging concepts and proven combinations.  I haven't yet ventured into the fine detail that more accomplished makers display like scales, vents, lips, etc.  I hope to learn some more about those refinements here from more experienced makers.

I am putting some pics of my progress to date here hoping to get some comments that will help me to do better and hopefully be able to produce some of the beautiful work I see posted.  Thanks again for the welcome and I look forward to killing the stripers in the near future.
Pat Patrick
The only man who never made a mistake is the man who in the face of opportunity chose to do nothing.