General Category > Plug / Lure Building Forum

So now that you know how to seal...Here's how to paint!

<< < (2/3) > >>

Salty:
Paint any other colors on the lure you would like. In this case I like this Tequila Sunrise color.

It's done by spraying red over the yellow for a great orange/yellow effect that is VERY visible on a cloudy day.

We also did a blue back on our second lure.

Did I mention you need to let this dry?

Salty:
Paint a red beard on the front of your lure. It looks like fish blood in the water to a predator.

We'll do this with the Vallejo Bright Red.

Salty:
Now that your lure is all painted it needs to be top coated to slow down the toothy critters from destroying it.

We'll use the Bob Smith 30 minute epoxy for this, it's waterproof and very durable with an excellent shine!

It also adds a UV inhibitor to keep lures from fading.

Take a Acid brush and cut the bristles down in half. I like the Flat Camel brushes we sell on the site: http://www.saltwaterplugs.com/paint%20brushes.htm

These brushes can be cleaned with acetone as long as the epoxy is not hardened. Brushes can be re-used over and over.

Salty:
Mix your epoxy in a small mixing cup. Use a hard plastic stick if possible as it reduces bubbles.

Bob Smith epoxy topcoat is mixed 1:1 ratio 5ml of each size is enough to do two lures of the size we have.

We'll add some denatured alcohol AFTER we first mix the epoxy. We want to thin it down some to make it easier to brush on. ~ 1ml is usually enough. Denatured Alcohol will not hurt your paint and allow the epoxy to be thinned and not destroy it's polymer chains...Don't need alot, just enough to thin it down to milk consistency.

We'll spread this on the lure brushing very well. You want to make sure the lure is coated completely and brushing out the top coat will allow it to level down flat to a high gloss.

Salty:
This picture shows a good leveled finish. 30 minute epoxy is one of the best things to coat a fishing lure with. Recommend keeping the thickness down as much as possible on the topcoat, 1 coat is typically sufficient without adding excess weight on the lure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version