Author Topic: Good boards???  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Good boards???
« on: November 12, 2010, 02:43:57 PM »
I picked up some rough sawn 5/4 yellow cedar froma friend yesterday that had been drying in his barn for several years. Is it any good for plugs? It does have soem knots but not a lot and I can cut many clear pieces from it....  Looking for thoughts on the usefulness of this wood.

If so, he has few hundred (maybe a thousand) board feet more.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Good boards???
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 02:54:19 PM »
absolutely it's great. If the knots are tight and small I'd even turn with them in the lure. Just seal well and use a high hiding primer. All cedars will bleed unless you can keep the oils inside the lure itself.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 04:40:21 PM »
The knots are tight. Not all are small but those were only three "test" boards. He has a barn full of old wood that he is getting rid of. Is there any other wood I should be looking for? I'm planning another reconoitering venture...

On the subject of bleeding, I use a BLO/MS mix as suggested. Will that still bleed? I can let whatever plugs I turn dry for months if need be...

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 04:59:47 PM »
I've seen plenty of lures with boiled linseed oil bleed. Over AYC and port orford is worst bleeding, sometimes red cedar too but doesn't seem to if the red is dry.

I very highly recommend moving away from linseed oil not only for the safety factor but what do you do with a quart of goo when it polymerizes in the jar. You can't throw it out it's hazardous waste.

I recommend several dips of lacquer sanding sealer (done outdoors) such as minwax which can be found not only online but at some hardware stores too. Over that I'd use bin in the gold can. Light coats. Then base color followed by finish colors.

Ayc makes very nice lures. Enjoy it because you will see the extinction of this tree possibly in your lifetime. As well as Port Orford. Both heavily harvested in Oregon, Washington, and BC.

I have been buying my ayc and poc from a distributor in Washington state. It's a great deal for the wood but it's the damn trucking that kills it. If you can find it like that then I'd buy it.

What else he got

If he's got too much ayc lemme know how much and maybe it's something I'd look at. What other woods does he have there? Birch and soft maple maple great needles. Stay away from oak, ash, anything open pored.

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 07:37:38 AM »
Thanks. Will let you know what he has. I make runs to Boston quite a bit. Perhaps I can run some up to you. If he has other stuff will send an email.

Having travelled all over the country I can attest to the problem facing certain types of woods. I've seen chestnut and elm all but disappear and now the elms are all dying here. Not good. I have four cedars on my property that are all well over 100' They will stay as long as I can keep them alive.

I'll try the other sealers. I'm familiar with the issues of BLO and fires. The first kits I got from you are sealed in that and have been drying for about a month now to make sure they are good and dry.