Author Topic: finally a good plug building forum  (Read 6574 times)

Offline Out Fishing

finally a good plug building forum
« on: November 28, 2010, 06:18:04 PM »
Here are some offshore poppers i made last winter. I used to paint custom cars but stopped a few years back. Lately i have had the need to paint again but vowed never to paint cars. This project fills the void and feeds my tackle problem. new batch coming soon!

Smith 80P/35 Popping rod $600
Saltiga 6500 Dogfight $1100
First Fish on my own lure... PRI$ELE$$
-Thanks SALTY

Offline Out Fishing

Re: finally a good plug building forum
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:03:29 PM »
Hey Bunker, Welcome!
Nice work...

Tom C. 
Tom C

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 08:07:05 PM »
thanks croaker. im still tryingto perfect the sealing process though. this week im going to spray some cedar automotive clear coat at my friends bodyshop. this stuff takes about 24hrs to cure so it should soak in pretty good. has anyone tried that here

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 08:50:41 PM »
yo!! bunker nice.......but make sure all the drill holes are sealed  like where the threw wire goes through the plugs......you might be better submerging you plugs in sanding sealer shellac or varnish  100% wax free stuff once thats cured then prime let cure paint let cure and than clear coat those bad boys    i like the olive color plugs but your paints have a nice rich  candy look............sweet!! and as always welcome aboard
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 01:16:52 AM »
Handy. Looking through the "sealing tech" posts I see you recomend the sanding sealer you get at say home depot. Does that cure fairly hard and have you had any problems with primer peeling off. The primers and paints I'll be using are urathane based so I amworried that theywont stick to the sanding sealer

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 07:36:04 AM »
Bunker welcome. Nice poppers and great fish pics!

Offline Out Fishing

• Fly fishing & tying, plugging, rod building...
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 07:46:03 AM »
Bunker - awesome looking plugs.  Really great colors and I love the details you put into the plugs.  Nothing better then catching fish on plugs you made..

Hey, if you need some help with sealers, I'm your guy...  Just do the opposite of what I recommend and you'll be fine...

welcome to the board, and looking forward to seeing more plugs you made.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 04:36:40 PM »
hay bunker.....i havent had any problems  useing sandingsealer..... i prime with rust-oleum primer  and spray with Autoair spray paints waterbased   i have used oilbased aswell... i just dont like the clean up with oil based paints.......sanding sealer drys quick  never sprayed urathane on it though... maybe the urathane might make the sealer wrinkle  the sealer i use is zinzer shellac.....so maybe urathane will make it peel off.....

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
Okay sounds good. I'm going shopping tommorow. The primer I'm going to use is Evercoat G2. It's a polyester base and it sprays on like syrup, adheres like hell. We use it for spraying over bodywork and it fills in imperfections. The clear coat is what I'm excited about. It's by HB Body, a "euro" clear and each coats lays on 2mils thick! Euro clears are made for cold weather regions where you need a rock hard finish to hold up to salt treatments for iced roads. Put it this way, the cars we use it on has to bewetsanded and buffed within 48hrs or else it's like polishing glass-impossible.

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 07:27:23 PM »
fills in imperfections........... right up my alley  :)

Offline Out Fishing

• Fly fishing & tying, plugging, rod building...
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 09:18:36 PM »
Just picked up my zinser sander-sealer today.  Just in time as I saw a salty box on my porch...

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 09:21:58 PM »
Bunker there is this place i used to buy paints at its called kustomrides......there web page is kustomrides.com    they had some nice stuff i used to get a twopart primer   and they also had this stuff called speed clear that was also twopart....... sure could make your head spin i wasnt useing it on surfplugs  i was useing it on another hobbie of mine........that stuff was to intence say good luck.....most important is sealing your plug well with good penatration let it dry good  i just use epoxy to coat my plugs  called flexcoat rod finish it works.......but it must be measured in equal parts  and mixed well and i use a rod dryer motor to spin them    nice fish pic........ :)   

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 04:28:55 AM »
be very careful is spraying auto stuff. Di isocyanates and solvents are not anything to play with. Never ever do in your house/basement/garage. OUTSIDE.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 05:25:13 AM »
No worries salt. I still have access to full size paint booths. I can tolerate a small project like this but painting cars however gives me headaches for weeks. I always spray with a carbon mask on too. 

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 11:47:48 PM »
not me  :bhappy: