Author Topic: so confused.....  (Read 6887 times)

Offline Out Fishing

so confused.....
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:30:53 AM »
So with my excitement of actually having a little time now that the snow stopped and I can kick the kids back to school, Im still up in the air on sealing. I have plugs ready to seal and just about every chemical I have seen but I think I got confused somewhere along the way. At this time, I have BLO , Mineral Spirits, tung oil, and a useless can of sanding sealer (wrong stuff, she picked up the water crap >:( ) So now I look online at the local big box places for sanding sealer and even the one from zinsser that says "100% wax free shellac" reads on to say for interior use ??? . I should mention that the wood I'm using now is port o cedar. I know that patience is a vertue however it is not one I've been blessed with, so the less drying time would be nice however if it is required, so be it.
On a side note, I want to thank Salty for his time. We had a chance to to talk for a few on Saturday morning and I gotta say, he's a hell of a guy.... now if my life wasn't so  ??? maybe I could remember what he told me about sealing  :laugh:
Thanks guys!

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: so confused.....
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 08:58:44 AM »
mix tung oil and min spirits 60/40 let soak for 5 min. Let dry for a week. Get lacquer sanding sealer black or yellow can. dip in there, this you can slightly thin also if preferred. Drip dry, lightly sand and prime.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:01:49 AM »
Thanks again salty! Is it ok to use the odorless MS or should I use the regular stuff???

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 10:30:09 AM »
should be. You dont need much. Let it dry a long time. be careful with rags
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 09:48:02 PM »
welp stinky1 i use a product which has all the above ingredients which salty mentions   waterlox marine sealer which drys overnight but i still give it 24hrs to dry      if you want to check it out go   to www.waterlox.com........it has mediumsheen and resists moisture.........the ingredients are:
mineral spirits
processed tung oil
ester gum
phenolic resin
processed linseed oil...............check it out............and good luck :)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 10:05:10 AM »
I use the zinnser 100 % wax free sanding sealer you suggested I'm not all that worried about the plug cracking as long as the fish stays on the wire lol and its job security for Salty also keeps me busy I prime with the gold label zinnser I let everything dry over night quick light sanding, base coat & dry then paint dry again then do my topcoat and dry.

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 05:10:01 PM »
yea surfstix zinnser works for me also.........im trying waterlox....which works good to......and drys quick........i just wanted to change thing around a little :) 
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• SEMPER FI
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 07:17:02 PM »
yea surfstix zinnser works for me also.........im trying waterlox....which works good to......and drys quick........i just wanted to change thing around a little :)
got any tips on tying thru wire my end loop look like s-----t  cant get a nice loop?
semper fi

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 08:15:30 PM »
shark lobster, Go back to pg.# 4 knipex Pliers. Scroll down.
There's a replay of Scott's video on  bending Tail loops.Good stuff...
Welcome to the site. An Army Vet. here.

Tom c
Tom C

Offline Out Fishing

• SEMPER FI
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 04:58:15 PM »
shark lobster, Go back to pg.# 4 knipex Pliers. Scroll down.
There's a replay of Scott's video on  bending Tail loops.Good stuff...
Welcome to the site. An Army Vet. here.

Tom cthank you ,,,, brother when were you in ,,,,?? i was in 1978-82  then again 2001 07,, iraiq  2 times ,,,,granada ,,  korea ,,,
semper fi

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 06:31:53 PM »
Yo S L,Have a few years on you. I was in the Army from 71 - 74. Basic, Ft.Dix to Ft. Rucker Ala. Helicopter maint.school on to Viet Nam, 71 - 72, as a Crew Chief / Door Gunner on a Huey aka a "Slick."  " Easter Offensive 72"... to Ft. Bragg, NC.   S L, Thanks for your service and Welcome Home!
Tom C

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 07:25:52 PM »
Ahhh, I think this is the wrong forum for my last post... Scott could you move it to Jimmy's Bar & Grill?

Tom C

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 08:12:52 AM »
door gunner in nam, eeeeeeesh  :sofa:

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 08:48:15 AM »
No worries Tom.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 07:50:03 AM »
Just got me a ltr of the zinsser shellac not cheap stuff $30  but if its as good as handy say it is then fine, ive also found a good supply of createx right in the village i live in  :o

Has anybody tried coating plugs with fiberglass resin after sealing them, just someone a joiner told me it would stop the grain lifting on soft wood like pine ?

shArk