Author Topic: Flex Coat To Finish Lures  (Read 5030 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Flex Coat To Finish Lures
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:17:06 AM »
I had another question regarding using flexcoat as the finish coat for my wood plugs.

I was reading some of the posts on this forum and there is some talk about spinning the finsh lure after applying the flexcoat.
this sounds like a PITA..(pain in the ass).

After brushing it on, do I need to continually spin the finished lure (how would I do that)?

I can't just hang it and let it dry?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Flex Coat To Finish Lures
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 10:19:55 AM »
If you don't have a spinner then you will need to flip it end to end a few times. Finishes have a tendency to "puddle" at the lowest point and and can run easy depending on how thick they are. Do you have to flip it-no. Do you want to? probably otherwise you will end up with a real thick gob somewhere or runs in the clear.

btw...fish don't care :)
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 10:58:43 AM »
wad-up richiep......well speaking for myself  i use both flex coat and devcon 30min epoxy.....i like flex coat cause its easy to work... with devcon its a little more fussy cause you got work a little faster......i measure out both using a syringes  flex coat is not as forgiving and must be mixed equaly... and mixed at least 3min or until it clears up......flex coat is UV protected  im not to sure about devcon.........yes you should spin your plugs or flip them.......just dont be in a rush take your time with your plugs.....spinning devcon 30min sets up quickly give it a couple of hours  flex coat on the other hand takes longer about 4hrs on the spinner but will still be tackie....use a heat lamp nothing to high tho mild heat is all that is nessary....you can get a nice rod dryer motor at mudhole tackle of or you cant build a nice dryer from a rotissary motor  found at one of those maga stores or just take your neighbors some where in this forum theres a dry system set up with pics.....i myself just use my rod dryer to just keep things simple....have fun.... main thing dont rush the process sealing is inportant dont rush that....and let things dry good before the next step till your plug is finished
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:58:15 AM »
sorry guys I replied to the last thread. Hadn't read this one yet.
I could see the bridge was lined with bears, but I didn't have a dog gone dime.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:57:36 AM »
new in here , done some plugs for the fun of it. ill use EnviroTex lite , its actually very good stuff no need to turn the lure .