Author Topic: Grommets for tins  (Read 4866 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Grommets for tins
« on: February 17, 2010, 11:17:21 AM »
I've been messing around with designing a few custom tins this winter, and a problem I've run into is a lack of information on the grommets the old-time tin jig manufacturers used to reinforce the eye holes. I can use brass or stainless steel sinker-type eyelets or thru-wire forms on the heavier designs like bunker spoons, etc., but the slim lures would be a lot easier to deal with if they had a reinforced drilled eye hole. I'm curious as to whether or not any of you guys have ever tried this, or if you have any information on the type of grommets that could be used or how they're mounted. Thanks.

Peter Jacobson
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Grommets for tins
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 12:12:25 PM »
Peter the tins I have seen are typically set with a grommet machine/press. You can buy different size grommets in smaller quantities from siska.com probably a 1-2000 piece qty.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 01:57:28 PM »
Thanks for the tip Salty. Siska seems to have exactly what I'm looking for.
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 01:59:55 PM »
For home use you can make some simple tooling up for a cheap arbor press also.

Lets see some pics of the tins when you get them done.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts