Author Topic: New Topcoat  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
New Topcoat
« on: July 28, 2010, 05:40:49 AM »
KBS Diamond Finish

I very highly recommend trying it. I'm not switching to it but I got some to try and was impressed.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: New Topcoat
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
Stuff definitely has adhesion on different paints. Hard scraping ruins the wood before the paint.

I'm thinking 2-3 coats of this stuff would be damn near bluefish proof. Limited to the strength of the underlying wood.. I did a astm 1/16 cross hatch test on this today and passed nicely.

It's expensive, but it's one part, can be dipped, can be thinned (they make a special thinner for it), will cover/adhere any type of paint, Can be brushed or can be reduced and sprayed. Wow I bet you could lay a nice shot of that stuff on a spray. Smells a bit like naptha and mineral spirits put together, the few lures I have done with it so far didn't smell bad at all. Can be used in a garage or outside, don't think I'd use it in a basement.  Is a moisture cure, you take out what you need and use it. Seal the cover with plastic wrap under the cap-not to seal it to keep the cap unglued. If you don't plastic wrap it then you'll end up with a can you gotta drill a hole in. These aliphatic urethanes they use will cure with moisture and contact to air. Bloxygen will seal a blanket of argon over this to keep it fresh in between uses.

I don't recommend the stuff around kids for sure, and still recommend that the adult put the clear coats on kits and finished lures...Safety first.

Habs and I used to spar about clear coats a long time ago. He always gave me crap for this stuff. He once said "some were on a holy grail search" Well that is alot of people that make fishing lures and I'm sure himself also as a way of bettering his product.

I think for 2010 this would be the closest you could come to a holy grail clearcoat for a fishing lure. The benefits seem to outweigh it's drawbacks.

I read up a bunch on this over lunch today and from what I can figure this is a product repackaged from the graffiti industry...It's not meant to be painted again. Nothing will stick to it. It's impervious to 90% of the chemicals out there... Too bad it could be used as a sealer coat..it would adhere very nice to raw wood....
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: New Topcoat
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 04:05:14 PM »
etex is short for envirotex it's usually found at Michaels etc.