Author Topic: On Airbrushing . . . . .  (Read 8268 times)

Offline Out Fishing

On Airbrushing . . . . .
« on: August 15, 2010, 05:11:25 PM »
Just got a airbrush and I have a couple questions I was hoping to kick around and get some feedback before I attempt my first airbrushed lure...............

I imagine that with airbrushing on wood you need to cut more paint in with your thinner to prevent running ? What ratio of thinner to paint do you find that works best for you?

Should I not even be bothering with mixing paint and thinner ? Just ready to use airbrush paint ? I like that idea because it would save alot of hassle. If so what brand of paint should I get ?

That's all for now thanks for the help ahead of time guys . . . .

-Mark.  :bash:

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
Re: On Airbrushing . . . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 06:07:23 PM »
say mark!! well thats a good question and many paints have to be thinned to get a good flow threw the brush  badger makes a pre thinned waterbased paint which ive used and it sprayed nice   i like to thin  the paint to where it flows like milk  when mixing it in a cup.... i use waterbased paints  if you search the internet theres a bunch of pros/cons on mixing   just practice on some scrap  to find what works for the type of gun you have    remember all paints vary  ive heard of guys useing windex to make the paint flow..........numbnuts turned me onto the iwata eclips hp-cs good for detail work  but hit the internet search around  and learn what works for you  some paints work flow better than others   and  thin differantly   :)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 08:04:35 PM »
I am also new to airbrushing. Plug building too. I use a Paasche VL3 with Createx pearlized paints over Krylon primer. Sealer is Boiled Linseed oil and mineral spirits. Guy at work has been airbrushing for a long time(no plugs, so take it for what its worth) and he says the VL3 is a great workhorse and the createx is easy to work with. No thinning. So far I agree. This is the only set up I have ever tried. Hope it helps.
I could see the bridge was lined with bears, but I didn't have a dog gone dime.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:37:17 PM »
i have been thinning with "pledge future shine" a few drops will do.i use mostly createx paint exept for the olive its folkart acrylic paint mixed with a few drops of pledge then run it thru a screen to get out any chips or globs.like handyman said practice on a piece of scape,dowls work great just prime and go.watch you air pressure i set mine for 25-30psi,to high and it will blow all over to low it wont come out.hope some of this helps

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 08:45:30 PM »
I always struggled with createx

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 06:09:35 AM »
Many of the createx colors still need to be thinned or you need to use a larger needle for them. Keep that in mind if you have problem shooting a particular paint. I'm betting you'd like the paints more if you thinned them down more and used thinner coats. Jimmy you of all people should not have a problem shooting this stuff I've seen the work you do. But your used to the one shot stuff :)
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 08:11:55 AM »
Salty, Do you suggest thinning Createx with water, Windex or what? Again I am new and maybe having problems I don't even know.
I also see some posts where you guys use Auto air and there must be others. Are some better for what we are trying to do, or is it preference? My stuff looks ok, but anything to make it easier and look good or really sweet is what I would like to try for. Rich

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
I'd not ever recommend water. It dilutes the binder and you lose adhesion. Windex I've heard works, I always used Liquitex when I used Createx.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 08:19:31 AM »
Thanks Salty. I have 3 at home in primer waiting for me to get off my butt and finish them. I'll post when they are done.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 08:51:45 AM »
Reading this forum, I see most of you guys use Badger and Iwata airbrushes. Is there a reason nobody uses Paasche? So far mine is ok, it works and is easy enough to clean. I'm just wondering. Rich

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 05:26:45 PM »
hay shrub................well i have 2 badger air brushes and im not fond of eather of them they gave me to much trouble................but now on the other hand i just love my Iwata easy to clean never had any problems with it   never shot a paasche before.......and reely never had one to compare with............numbnuts turned me onto the Iwata  he's an arteeest with the  airbrush

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 07:46:02 PM »
i Make my living with the airbrush, well kinda, and there is no better. I have them all.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 10:21:40 AM »
good to know guys, thanks

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 06:20:13 PM »
just was on the internet and found a thinner solution for waterbased paints  i havent tried it i like to keep things simple im gona hunt down liquitex is there any other products that come to mind let me know also  autoair has 4011 but i thought that was for paints other the waterbased reduser/thinners.    let me know.............thanks handy  :)

4 cups water
1 cup rubbing alcohol
1 cup windex
4-6 drop of glycerin
seem quite alot id cut that hole thing by 1/2
this home brew
its just some thing to mess with

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 09:25:20 PM »
say salt that liquitex.......is that the flowaid that you were talking about for thinning waterbased air brush paints.........thanks handy :)