Author Topic: Replacing trebles with singles  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Replacing trebles with singles
« on: July 09, 2015, 07:59:18 AM »
I've been replacing the tail trebles on my store bought poppers and swimmers, as well as the lures I've been building with single hook bucktails, in an effort to make the release less lethal to the fish. My question to the community is: hook tip up or down?
Reading several articles on the topic; hook tip up as it makes for a more solid purchase into the fish's bone, however much more difficult when trying to release it. Hook tip down into the lower lip, easier to set, easier to release, but not as many hookups.

What's the opinion of the experienced lure builders? Trebles? Just crush the barbs? Singles?

Regards,

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Replacing trebles with singles
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 06:05:13 AM »
Always crush the barbs no matter what you use. Keep tight to the fish and you won't ever lose one. The only exception I make to this is tunoids.

Hook up is fine it rides ok, hook down will tend to grab seaweed on the bottom if it's a sinking lure.

I'd leave what you have alone and start crimping barbs or grinding them off completely. I've been barbless for more than 20 years.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts