Author Topic: belly weight  (Read 4681 times)

Offline Out Fishing

belly weight
« on: February 06, 2011, 08:50:15 PM »
Hi: I have never done this before but I need some information involving belly weights.  I am a muskie fisherman that was brought up fishing (trolling) wooden pikies.  Since they or not easily obtainable, I purchased a few A40jr and altered the face to look like the old style 2 screw wood pikie.  The question I have is ...How important is the belly weight.  Is it for casting or to obtain proper swimming action?

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
Re: belly weight
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:02:36 PM »
belly weights effect the swimming action. I find most wood plugs cast like a potato with or without belly weights, ones with cast further tho.
now tail weights, that a different story

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:28:37 PM »
Well the truth is I have sealed and painted 25 bodies that I did not insert a belly weight, but rather doweled the hole.  After installing the lip, hooks, and wire.....When I finally found some open water to test them (try that in Michigan in February), the bodies tended to roll with the largest after market pikie lip.  I noticed that if I replaced the lip with original large pikie lips they tent to swim better, but the depth they obtained was less.  Please help before I make Scott richer in the quest for a supply of custom muskie baits....

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 04:37:06 AM »
You need to read the pictorials on the site linked off the kit page. Your in never never land right now. With the qty of different plug kits there not sure why you'd go to all that work and not just select the correct kit to begin with :)
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 04:37:35 AM »
Especially when there's 2 pikies on the site LOL
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 02:44:21 PM »
Thats kind of what I was thinking just buy the pikie kits if thats what you intended on trying to make.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 08:09:08 PM »
Boy I surely would have if I didn't have more than 3500 eyelets, 950+ 3/0 mustad hooks, and pounds of 308 stainless rod that was left over when I used to rewire re-painted pikies and bruno pikies sent to me from the Lake St. Clair region.  Just trying to use up what I have....Also I prefer the 2 screw lips that I have a ton of.  I'll just have to keep experimenting.........

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 08:28:12 PM »
do it up riverrat.............never fished a pikie before ..........i know stripercrazy  loves pikies he's always workin on pikies :)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent