Author Topic: popper question  (Read 4603 times)

Offline Out Fishing

popper question
« on: September 27, 2011, 05:38:51 PM »
where can I fine a router tool for lathe or hand drill for popper mouths or what is everyone using?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: popper question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 06:39:20 PM »
I used to sell them but the place went bankrupt last year. Don't have access to them anymore so what I have I hold tight. I haven't found a replacement for them. I've sold several hundred of these things so there's a bunch out there.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:02:27 PM »
Kutzal.........ks-7....1"  sphere and they have a 3/4 " sphere.......i use it in a drill press  to make the popper mouth.....
WWW.hummul.com.............
christian j. hummul.............wood carving supply ........kutzal is the bit you want :)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 10:02:48 PM »
nice, they have two, silver or bronze..which one you use??

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 10:16:21 PM »
i have the silver ones.......1" and a 3/4  ruff cut..............but i noticed i could use a fine sphere in both just to smooth out the cut...........
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:31:13 AM »
I use those to but I have heard some use a router bit in a drill press

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 03:22:27 PM »
yes kutzall does work but they're limited in size is the only problem. They make several grits.

Some other things that work...a cove bit in a drill press or lathe...get one with a roller bearing base...take the roller bearing right off and it leaves you a nice little guide for the center hole...

Spade bits...Take a spade bit in the right diameter and grind the spikes off the edges...works well.

Forstner bits...works well also..

ALL ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. BE VERY VERY CAREFUL THESE ARE SHARP TOOLS AND ONE SLIP CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY.

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 08:52:52 AM »
The last sentence is key pay attention because you can get hurt I still have all my fingers but I have heard some stories.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 12:27:49 AM »
Montser Tool company makes ones that are just like Scotty used to have.  Fastenall sells them along with their own brand.  I use them in a drill chuck in my lathe.  Work great but as others have said, you need to be carefull.  They are sharp!