Author Topic: my first lure disaster!  (Read 13211 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Re: my first lure disaster!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 07:11:11 PM »
Scott,

You definitely made me laugh! I'm sure the lures will dry out eventually. If only I had a wood stove. That is one thing I miss with my new house. If I need to I can always use some xlene or alcohol to draw the oil out and dry it. I'll just have to dip in a sanding sealer. One problem I have is that I live in Home Depot country. Lowes are hard to find so when people say you can get stuff there I have to make a minimum 30 minute drive (if traffic flows). Heck, even the Home Depot is 15 miles away. That is the breaks with living in a small fishing community...

I will say that I looked again today and I got great penetration with the BLO!

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 04:30:55 AM »
Bill i'm not sure that just wiping would work, it may just give the stuff a better pattern to the surface.

One good idea is to weigh them now on a gram scale...then check them in a week or two. See if they lose weight..that would be solvent flashing off...
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 07:12:45 AM »
Thanks! I didn't think to weigh them. I just got into the office and was reading about BLO to see how it would chemically fraction off the lighter ends (the joys of working with hazmat!!). I doubt wiping them would do enough. It would probably take a soaking and that would be disastrous for the wood grain.

I think I'm only down two lures as the others look pretty good. However, I'll take your suggestion and weight them as soon as I get home. Thanks!

Offline Out Fishing

• Fly fishing & tying, plugging, rod building...
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
I've had my two lures under a high intensity light for a few days and I can definilty see (and smell) the difference.  Wood has taken on a much lighter hue than before.  I'll continue to leave them under the light and won't do anything with the lures until later in the winter (just to be sure).

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 12:28:01 PM »
Bruce,

I put mine under a high intensity light as well but had to watch it becasue of the heat. Suprisingly, the two 2 oz. sandeel swimmers were the worse for absorbing. The three 1 oz. slopeheads were next in line. However, the 2 oz. spooks and the micro spooks didn't absorb that much. They are dried nicely and the heat did little to change their color.

I'm getting ready to head to the reloading bench and get my scales so I can take a measurement.  Will let you know. I think the heat is definitely helping. My research shows that that is about the only way unless you can soak them in drier (but that would ruin the wood grain.)

Lesson learned...don't soak as long. Time to order some replacements...

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 12:30:02 PM »
Sandeel swimmers and 1 oz surfsters were Port Orford Cedar. Surprised to hear they sucked anything up. The 2oz spooks were ayc, the micro spooks are birch.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 01:06:55 PM »
They turned a beautiful dark color. I almost just epoxied them as they were because the wood took on such a pretty hue. It was interesting seeing how each soaked up the BLO. If I remember, I'll get some pictures...

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 08:27:16 PM »
Scott,

Here's the run down on the various plugs that were soaked for a 24 hour period (all readings in ounces):

.75 oz. Micro Spooks
.425; .432; and .3925

2oz. Topwater Glide
1.407 and 1.536

1 oz. Lil Bugger Surfster
.694; .713; and .709

2 oz. A40Jr

All of these are measured without the weights installed...just wood and BLO/MS

Do the numbers sound right or do they sound "spongy"???  :D

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 03:25:56 AM »
the micro spooks sound a bit heavy but the others seem ok? Don't sound like they sucked up too much?
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 03:26:33 AM »
They're all very very close to each other.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 10:08:42 AM »
I am a first time builder and after reading this posting wonder if a product I use in furniture woodworking will work to seal the plugs as well.  I have been using Zinsser's Bulls Eye Seal Coat (a sand and seal product)  Would this be usable?

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 10:53:59 AM »
That's the stuff that is recommended, Capt. Randy. However, being bullheaded I had to go with an older method.

Scott, Thanks! It didn't seem like they absorbed all that much to me. I'm going to give them another couple of days and try a seal coat of Zinser before teh white basecoat...

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 12:55:44 PM »
CaptRandy,
              Handyman has a post on page 2 of this forum about "Zinsser Seal Coat".
I followed his method and it works well. My first this past sring,no problems.
Tom C

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 01:53:51 PM »
Thanks for responses, I use it on hardwood floors and furniture but was not sure it would be appropriate for sealing plugs.

Offline Out Fishing

• Fly fishing & tying, plugging, rod building...
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 08:53:39 PM »
CB - I see you and I were poured from the same mold.  I have my sander sealer and it works GREAT!

Anyone have other uses for BLO?