Author Topic: Newbie question on Wooden plug assembly/finishing  (Read 12345 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Newbie question on Wooden plug assembly/finishing
« on: April 12, 2011, 03:55:37 PM »
Hey guys..I'm new here, just embarking on this as a new hobby.
I have a few of Salty's wooden plug kits, but have a little confusion on the order in which you should do things.

When do you seal the wooden body with respect to epoxying in the belly weights...and the belly grommets.

Do you seal first then move on?  After the belly weights are installed, or After the belly weights AND belly grommets are installed?

Thanks...looking forward to finishing these and doing a bunch more.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Newbie question on Wooden plug assembly/finishing
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 04:17:10 PM »
I glue weights in first then seal, grommets get done after they are finish coated...or sometimes people will put them in first which they are then under the paint...People do it all different ways, some like to seal first, some like to glue the stuff in first then seal.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 08:11:28 PM »
yea like salty said........just remember to make sure the threw wire goes threw your plug in this case you can drill out the threw wire holes in the lead belly weight if need be .....before you finish the plug..... and for a classic finished belly hole  use minwax high performance wood filler its a two part wood filler........dose a sweet job of filling the hole......leave it on the highside when dry sand smooth to your plug  and seal your plug.......good luck richie and welcome to the site :)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 08:13:47 PM »
GOOD POINT Bruce. I forgot about that...sometimes things are second nature and I don't think much about them anymore...like the wire.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 08:18:31 PM »
say salt   you know how many times ive made that misstake.....and said to myself ill never do that again.....and do it anyway.............. ;D
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 08:21:12 PM »
LOL never fails

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 08:24:30 AM »
One other question, regarding the nose and tail grommets...should these be epoxyed/glued in, or just held in by the through wire?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 08:31:53 AM »
Just the through wire holds those, no need to epoxy in. Good questions btw and welcome to the forum Richie.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 08:33:15 AM »
Just thought of a couple of other questions regarding sealing and finishing.

When you dip the wooden bodies in sealer, do you just hang them and let them drip dry...do you wip off any excess sealer first?
Also what method do most guys use, vertical or horizontal hanging.....using a piece of wire, or maybe a cup hook?  I'm planning
on using the Zinsser Sanding Sealer for this step.

For the final finish coat, I'm going to use the High Build Flex Coat, I assmue this gets brushed on, and then the lure is again hung to dry.
Same question what works best vertical or horizontal hanging?

Sorry for all the stupid questions, just want to equip myself with enough information to do a decent job on my first few lures.

Thanks, Rich

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 08:49:17 AM »
Dip n drip then wipe..let it soak in.

Yes on hanging. Whatever works for you.

Yes on flexcoat..probably will need to flip..use a acid brush with the bristles cut down to 1/2 length. I sell some real nice double crimped and stapled brushes online for this...much better than the black bristle brushes. thin coats are better...

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 07:54:33 AM »
I took Handy's method for the flex coat. Use the syringes to get equal amounts. Spin it on a low rpm spinner to prevent sags. I think mine is 24 or 36 rpm. I am sure there is a time frame, I just let it go till I havta leave or go to bed. Hope it helps.
I could see the bridge was lined with bears, but I didn't have a dog gone dime.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 08:03:45 AM »
If you use syringes be very careful which ones you use...many have silicone inside them as a lube....bad bad bad

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 08:16:57 AM »
Didn't know that. Thanx. I'll make sure to get the correct ones and not just go to the hardware store. Flex coat puts out their own and they are color coded to the color on the 2 bottles.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 10:06:07 AM »
yes those are ok. Don't remember which ones had the silicone in them maybe someone can chime in. Jamestown dist would prob sell them.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 11:58:54 AM »
Don't know how many times it can be said. The knowledge and willingness to help on this forum are top notch.Thanks