Author Topic: Top coat  (Read 8092 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Top coat
« on: May 25, 2011, 07:32:21 PM »
I know this probally being asked before but im struggling to get devcon 30min 2 ton epoxy, all i can get is the 5min 2 ton devcon, is this the same stuff the same but just different setting times ? i guess ill have to work faster if i use the 5min one ?

I can get e tex now and some stuff called crystal sheen which apparently is harder then etex when cured,

ive just about finished my dryer ...........took the microwave to bits for the motor then had to explain to the wife why we have a new shiny new one  ;D ,

what do you all prefer.

sharkster

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
Re: Top coat
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 11:05:20 PM »
wonder why you can get the 5min devcon........and cant  get the 30min.........are you ordering on line or are you shopping local.........should be able to order online????........dont try the 5min....it might start to set up before you finish the plug.......i never worked with e-tex.......what about flexcoat rod building finish....the only thing you have to mix equal parts with syringes......its not to forgiving with the measurements......and you must spin the plug to prevent sags...................funny about the micro wave..........my wife dosent like when i blend fur in the blender when i make dubbing for my flys...........good luck and let me know about the 30min stuff...........i use flexcoat but ive also used 30min devcon........but favor flexcoat :)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 04:56:20 AM »
5 minute will yellow in less than 1 month.

You got to be able to find 30 minute? There's more than just Devcon...there's umpteen million places that make epoxy? If you can't find that look for envirotex lite or rod builders finish...
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 05:31:32 AM »
Cheers bruce

the shop i looked at was on line ive tried quite a few places but they all stock the 5min stuff  no 30min ?

cant say ive looked for flexcoat,

Thought about using bug bond but too expensive, just ordered some flex-coat to try how much would one plug say a 6" size need of the flex coat ........ 2cc ? of each resin=hardner

mark

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 05:32:39 AM »
Thanks Salty.....

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 06:57:22 AM »
Most good hardware stores carry 30 min Devcon if not they will bring it in for you.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 07:53:22 AM »
Sharkie!!!! wad up yo!..................yea 2cc  of each is perfect.......add some fine glitter for lure makeing.......just a little dab will do ya......not much  go sparce on the glitter.......and your ready to go :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 12:24:37 PM »
Cheers Bruce

Surfstix ive asked a few places if they could get me the 30min in stock there reply was they sell more 5min ?.

ive got the flex coat coming now.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 10:17:59 AM »
Shark, you can find the 30 minute stuff on Ebay....just do a search on Devcon Epoxy

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 01:48:29 PM »
Thanks i got a large amout of flexcoat coming

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 03:35:23 PM »
dont forget equal parts......and dont eyeball the measurements.......use syringes.........and you have to spin your plug

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 05:45:37 PM »
This flexcoat i got coming has built in dispensers one squeze = 3cc but ill find some syringes without the silicon plunger.

and my plug spinners ready but its only a single plug set up

mark

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 10:18:58 PM »
single plug set up will work just fine

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 04:25:48 AM »
Many thank handy,

Talk about bad luck the flex coat arrived and one bottle is cracked talk about p#@sed  off now another weeks wait for the replacement doh!.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 06:59:40 AM »
well sharkie............if it werent for bad luck.............you wouldnt have no luck at all :)