Author Topic: Top coat  (Read 8087 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Top coat
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 10:52:39 AM »
Well bad luck turned round i called the shop where the flex coat come from, and they where so helpful the sent a replacement bottle in a TAXI  :o free cost to me  about 190 mile round trip,  so a test plug is now turning a old yozuri F 

Lol what the setting time for flex coat our temp is 23deg c so 73.4deg f or HOT ,

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 12:11:11 PM »
4hrs set time.....but prolly still tacky figure overnight should be fine
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 04:56:32 PM »
Thanks bruce ive done a couple of plugs , but the first one i put too much on and it looks lumpy will it be fine to sand down or just leave it as is,

fish will not know end of the day, one thing for sure its hard than it looks to get a good finish.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 07:08:33 PM »
lumpy!!!!......hmmmm......??????......yea its ok to sand it out but let it dry real good.........lets see....you mixed equal parts of flex coat  hardner/resin.......in a clean mixing cup.......and mixed the stuff for 3min...just to blend it real good.....you applied the flex coat with a clean brush.....on a clean surfplug.....so im guessing every thing was clean with no dust........and your plug turner spins true( no wobble )........and you didnt add to much heat...............i realy dont apply any heat to my plugs....mild heat will level your plug out nicely.............did you add flakes  you dont need much and they have to be real fine.......the way to tell for fine glitter is to make the mistake i made a while back.......i sneezed and it took days for them to settle down.......id go into my shop and i kept seeing glitter spots ........say is the flexcoat good.....some times the resin can go bad and get cloudy.....you mentioned one tube was cracked during shipment   was that the resin.....anyway not sure why it came out lumpy..........

heres a tip on mixing flexcoat.......measure equal parts then stir slowly you will notice the flexcoat start to get cloudy....keep mixing until the flexcoat starts to get real clear again   thats when you know its mixed well..........adding a piece of news print under your mixing cup will help you see what im talking about......like a magnifiying glass

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 07:23:59 PM »
yep all clean ........no heat applied at all ...turner turns tru.....didnt get round to apply glitter as yet but will do, what i ahve done is on the secong plug i mixed the flexcoat well , then applied it but this time i pushed it about making sure every bit was coated with flex c this one turned out spot on, what i think i did on the first on was i did apply to much and sort of left it to self level,

Ill sand the first one later this week leaving plenty of time to harden, the bottle that was cracked was sent back and replaced, ill try the news papaer trick.

thanks handy

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 08:39:30 PM »
nice ok that makes sence....... yea make sure when you applie the flexcoat  hand turn your plug to make sure all is coated and that there are no bare spots..........then when all is even  fire up your  plug dryer