Author Topic: making scales  (Read 13921 times)

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
making scales
« on: January 31, 2010, 04:00:31 PM »
how bout it. anyone? I suck at them.

seaviewer

Re: making scales
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 06:15:23 PM »
Mask off what you don't want scales on and then wrap the plug with a piece of onion bag. Couple of clothes pins to hold it tight. Spray away.

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 07:07:36 PM »
say numbnuts...mudhole tackle/jannis netcraft has this scale netting tape  which  u tape on your plug spray over top of your plug and then remove it...........i havent tried it yet   but it seams easy...........catch ya later
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 07:24:49 PM »
i always get a buildup of paint, never works clean for me. and I've seen some pretty intricate patterns too.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 08:08:53 PM »
wad -up  numb nuts i did some reasearch......janns netcraft scale masking cat# 310015.....im gona try it on my next order from them ........but i have used a craft screening  as a stencil....just have to mount the plug on some thing ...hit the one side ..flip it and spray the other side.....but i hear you some times u can drag the paint if not careful

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 12:12:58 AM »
Light coats Jim.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

njfish

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 11:42:38 AM »
Light coats Jim.

Exactly, you need to apply light coats of paint when painting scales.  I have got away with Toulle fabric and heavier coats but have not succeded painted heavy coats with any other fabric/material.  Well atleast painting heavy coats and then being totally happy with it. I keep every mesh bag or whatever I get my hads on
I also want to try the mask from Jann's but only if its a mask(adhesive) and not just another mesh.  I think I need to call them and find out-it is cheap but shipping will kill the deal as I don't buy anything else from them

To hold material on plug I have tried many different things.  What I use now it those ties that come with toys to hold them in the box.  You don't even need to twist them, just put through material and bend over.  It's nice as you can pull material to conform to plug

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 12:18:05 PM »
janns used to sell just a small piece of the toule fabric but I haven't bought from them in years. It's probably cheaper in your local fabric store...
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

njfish

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 11:03:30 PM »
janns used to sell just a small piece of the toule fabric but I haven't bought from them in years. It's probably cheaper in your local fabric store...

That was the impression I got and why I didn't buy.  I got my toule at W...mart for like 35 cents a foot.  Maybe it was not that cheap but I did buy 3 feet of it and I don't think it cost me more than a dollar or two.  They have like 3 different sizes but I think the wider hole one works the best.  I used 2 different methods 2 plugs were done w/ silver overspray and 2 all the upper colors were painted w/ toule fabric on plug(danny & needle)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 01:38:13 PM »
very very nice. I missed these earlier

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 01:38:26 PM »
love that a40jr

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 10:26:24 PM »
nice  plugs   nj

njfish

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 11:49:17 AM »
Thank you, here is a syatem i use to paint and do scales

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 04:13:36 PM »
Great head detail, nice transition to tail.
Tom C

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2010, 06:33:58 PM »
say nj....... throw a plug in that contraption...........that there looks like one of those fance rolling machines ;D