Author Topic: Tin Spoons  (Read 59449 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Tin Spoons
« on: August 08, 2010, 10:12:05 AM »
I know you guys are anxiously awaiting some new tins to hit the market,  but in the meantime, I figured I'd post a few pictures of my latest  project in the hopes of tiding you over until the big announcement  comes. When I was a kid, there were a bunch of jigs hanging up in the  garage. They were old even back then, so I figure they were made in the  1940's, either by a small company that's long gone, or maybe by a  fisherman who made his own. Unfortunately, the only one I have left is  a 2.25 ounce spoon. The rest were stolen somewhere along the way. I  thought I'd make some new copies with some modifications. The process  was bit of a pain, since it involved making two molds. I made a mold  from the original, then cast a copy in plastic. I used clay to close up  the drilled holes and install brass eyelets. I also used clay to fill  in the dings, then I sanded the rough edges and coated the model with  multiple coats of clear acrylic. I then made an RTV mold from the  model, and I'm really pleased with the way they turned out. The  original was rigged with a stainless steel leader through the heavy end  and the hook at the small end. I reversed the rigging and found the  action to be about as good as these things get. It also casts better  this way. My metal polishing skills have a long way to go, but I'm sure  the fish won't care all that much. I wasn't sure the original was tin  because of the heavy patina, but the tin copy I made weighed exactly  the same, so I guess it was.
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
Re: Tin Spoons
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:23:20 AM »
NICE! peter jay...........even the back drop cloth looks  like a pro................your knic name should be ........THE TIN MAN ......on this fourm :)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 05:27:17 AM »
Peter very nice. Your depleting the entire worlds supply of tin

:)
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Doesn't really fish
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 07:43:18 AM »
very very nice.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 08:25:27 AM »
How many a pound are you getting with those? 8? I've been able to find small quantities of 99.9% tin for $11 a lb plus shipping. May pick some up this month. Going to get a different crucible though to keep things separate.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 11:43:33 AM »
How many a pound are you getting with those? 8? I've been able to find small quantities of 99.9% tin for $11 a lb plus shipping. May pick some up this month. Going to get a different crucible though to keep things separate.
These are 2.25 ounces, so I figure 6+ per pound,close to 7. I bought my tin in 3+ pound ingots from Rotometals. Materials for a completed lure were just under $2.50, not including mold-making costs. I went on the Rotometals site a couple of days ago and I almost fell out of my chair: $13.99/pound! It had recently dropped from $12 to $11 a pound and they'd had a !0% off sale about a month ago, and like a freaking moron, I forgot about it until the deadline passed. Rotometals has free shipping on orders over $100, which helps. I also keep a melter exclusively for tin - any lead contamination and you can kiss the shine goodbye.

Many thanks for the compliments, guys, I'm really glad you like them. When I started doing this, I had no idea how addictive it was going to be. My wife is already beginning to notice signs of neglect in the yard. You might think I'd learned my lesson from all my years of fly tying and talking to plug builders, but once an addict, always an addict. I did a couple of rough clay prototypes for a classic-type butterfish tin yesterday, and they swam really nice, so I guess that's gonna be coming up next.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 09:51:41 AM »
Well I just bought 10 lbs to start amassing the tin fortune. Stuff is expensive.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 05:54:23 PM »
Yeah, it's expensive, but when the thousands and thousands of dollars come rolling in, you'll be glad you made the investment. I'm looking for you to start the trend, then I'm gonna ride your coattails all the way to the bank. $$$$$$ ;D $$$$$$

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 06:37:31 PM »
thousands? Your looking at the business all wrong. The only thing I've made thousands of is headaches every day :)

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 10:54:54 PM »
There goes my dream of pulling up to the breachway in a stretch limo. Looks like I'm stuck with my old job of singing the national anthem at !@#&fights.  :(

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 04:16:46 AM »
 :D

My Lear jet is down in the Hamptons right now getting gold trim put on the faucet handles in the bathroom otherwise I'd be fishing.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 05:17:34 AM »
Another 8 lbs 12.41/lb including shipping

I'M GONNA CORNER THE TIN MARKET :D

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 09:13:43 AM »
I knew some unscrupulous speculator was hoarding it and driving the price up. Better keep your supply under lock and key - I just bought a few of your kits, so I know where you live now. BTW: That's a better deal that I've been able to find lately. What's your source if you don't mind my asking. Or even if you do mind my asking. Good luck with your project as long as you don't show me up too badly.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 10:19:52 AM »
just pickin off ebay right now.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 01:24:14 PM »
There are some good deals up there right now - I bought 3 pounds from the same guy this weekend for $11.17/lb shipped. I might get some more - I don't really need it right now, but it ain't gonna go bad.

Jimmy Durante