Author Topic: Tin Spoons  (Read 59435 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Tin Spoons
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2010, 10:09:17 PM »
Except for the toothpaste, it was starting to sound like a pretty good recipe for barbecue sauce. Come to think of it, most of the barbecue I've had around here would probably taste better with a little squirt of Colgate in the sauce. Gotta try the toothpaste. Maybe my pitbull would let me use some of hers. Thanks for the tip.
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2010, 04:28:41 AM »
Not sure what mixing all those together does but ketchup and lemons are both acidic so the toothpaste is probably just a little bit of grit.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2010, 08:35:42 AM »
I'm definitely gonna give it a shot - I don't imagine there's a much milder abrasive out there than toothpaste. Again, thanks.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2010, 11:55:40 AM »
another 10 lbs this morning
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2010, 04:07:27 PM »
Jeez, are you still picking it up off eBay? I haven't seen anything decent on there since you cleaned out that guy in Ohio. Somebody had a TROY pound the other day for $45 (!) plus shipping. I'm gonna start keeping score - I think you're over your 60-pound threshold by now. If you keep hogging the market and your tins sell the way I think they're going to, I'm gonna wind up mining and smelting the stuff myself. I wonder how the food is in Bolivia.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2010, 04:24:05 PM »
dunno but it's 100 degrees inside that mine in Chile.  Can you imagine being stuck inside there until Christmas?

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2010, 04:31:21 PM »
No, I couldn't imagine it - and I'd bet their wages are nothing to write home about either.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2010, 04:33:24 PM »
Anyway I hope these tins do well. If they do it gives me another way to market stuff. If you didn't see in the other thread I did a whole ton of those microscuttlebuggers I want to take them to local shops and see if they'd be interested in stocking some of them. The world is limitless. Too bad you can't get rich doing it.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
I think you're gonna do just fine with the tins; there's not really a lot out there to choose from right now, especially if you don't like wasting time on waiting lists. The reaction to the ones I made has been nothing but positive, and they're just homemade stuff from a rubber mold. BTW: Those microscuttlebuggers would be a lot of fun for spring stripers in the river and the estuary around here.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2010, 03:19:49 PM »
i see masters

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2010, 07:05:21 PM »
Just ordered the tail eyes

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2010, 10:22:45 AM »
Aha! Grommets in the nose. At least we know that much. (I think) I'm really looking forward to seeing these. The fishing world awaits the unveiling. Wish I had a CNC milling machine - of course, I'd have to hire somebody to run it. 

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2010, 05:03:05 PM »
say peterjay.........question..... if you were to make a bunch of those tins.............could u send them out to get chromed..........or wont that work............
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2010, 10:15:54 PM »
Handy, I suppose you could if you wanted to, but the advantage of tin lures is that they don't need any enhancement. If they get a little dingy looking, all you have to do is polish them up or melt them down and pour them again. Once you get into lead or lead alloys like Joe Martins does with Pt. Jude lures, then you have to go to plating because of the rapid oxidation of the metal. Tin oxidizes very slowly. One of the things I learned doing this project is that tin ranks only behind platinum, gold, and silver as a precious metal. It's  beautiful stuff to work with, and once you see it in the water, you'll forget all about chrome. I wish to hell it was cheaper, but that ain't gonna happen any time soon, especially with Salty sitting on a couple million tons of it. I'll bet as we speak, he's got a bunch of guys out there with Uzis and rottweilers standing guard over his stash. 8)

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2010, 07:47:54 AM »
Ever tried pewter alloy? It's got a high tin content?

http://www.rotometals.com/Pewter-Alloys-s/23.htm