Author Topic: Paint question  (Read 3929 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Paint question
« on: July 21, 2013, 01:39:17 AM »
Hey guys.  I ordered a ton of different createx paint for the airbrush.  It has the transparent, fluorescent, pearl, and opaque.  What's the best order to apply them?  Lets say I want a pearlized light blue popper.  Spray that first, then to add "highlights", for lack of a better word, should I use the transparent on top or will that diminish the pearl look I'm going for?  Thx in advance

Bill

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Paint question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 05:06:43 AM »
Bill you always have to lay down a base coat first. White or black depending on what you do. Transparent paints are just that, you see through them. Opaque is a solid color. Pearls go over a base coat.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 01:58:33 AM »
Tell me if this would work, please.

Base Coat: White
Pearlized Coat: White
On the back/spine fading as it goes toward rib cage: Light Blue

The belly would be pearlized.
The side partially pearlized.
The top Light Blue with a tint of the pearlized white due to the fact the blue is see through.

Sorry to be a pain.  I have 15 kits coming in tomorrow.  Just wanna make sure I get this straight. 

Thx,
Bill

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 03:35:21 AM »
Hey bill, that sounds about right, but really I think order in which you apply Paint really depends on the look that you're
 going for shading etc. here is the Basics to what I have been doing lately
Waterlox
Primer " kilz or Rust oleum 2X primer"
Pearlized paint "In a rattle can"
Cretex for shading and detail
Hope that helps  :D

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 03:45:47 AM »
But honestly the best thing you can do is trial and error and see what works for you, I can't tell you how many times I've had to start over because I didn't like the look
Or use the opaque white cover up what I just did and start over, Also I don't know if you know this but I like to use a hair dryer between each coat to set The paint before applying the next layer

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »
Thx herring.  Yes, I've been using the hair dryer.