Author Topic: CNC Lathe  (Read 3907 times)

Offline Out Fishing

CNC Lathe
« on: April 10, 2016, 04:18:51 PM »
Hey Guys:
I have the chance to pick up a CNC lathe at a very reasonable cost and have been researching software.  I have a home made duplicator and I make all of my patterns on AutoCAD.  I am aware that many CAM programs can import information on shapes via DXF files and convert it to GCode which is the machine language.  I also know that AutoCAD can output to DXF files which covers part of the process.  Unfortunately, this machine I am looking at comes with no software and I am wondering if one of the cheap CAM programs I am looking at on line will fit the bill.  I know this is a specialized question.....just hoping someone here may have some experience with CNC.  Thanks in advance for any input.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: CNC Lathe
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »
Cheap and cnc don't mix. There's alot of different packages available for any number of hobbyist machines. Can't comment on any as no experience. I use Vectrics for alot of what I do. Beyond that it is all custom.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 12:40:28 PM »
I am getting the lathe used.  It has been sitting in a warehouse for about a year, I know it worked before it was stored away though.  Trouble is the computer that was used to run it was not included, thus, no software.  Just looking to do some 2 axis machining, nothing fancy.  I have seen some reasonably priced software on the net, just want to make sure I can get this thing running before I pull the trigger.  Don't want to end up with a big paperweight in my shop.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 03:22:17 PM »
My first stop would be with the manufacturer of the CNC.

The few CNC machines I have run had the screens built into them.  The programs were written by the operator in G Code as he stepped through the part.  One was a Haas milling center and I guess I don't recall the lathe...and since I ran literally tons of aluminum through it making pistons for hydraulic cylinders, I should remember...or maybe that's why I forgot... :(