Author Topic: Fate...something coming  (Read 12724 times)

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Fate...something coming
« on: September 27, 2014, 02:16:59 PM »
Some of you may remember I lost a very good friend back in July of 2011, someone who was near and dear to me and taught me alot in my business. His name was Jim Brown, most won't know him, some of the old timers in plug building might. Jim started Plug Builders Supply many years ago and supplied fishing lure kits, lips, all kinds of stuff via a mail order catalog. 20 years ago he was THE guy to go to for lure building stuff. Many got their start with Jim's stuff. Time went on and he stopped selling components but still did alot behind the scenes. When I first got into making lures I bought alot of stuff off him and over time Jim became a friend who I talked with almost every day.  I still remember our last conversation. It was never said but I think we both knew it could be the last. Several weeks went by that I didn't hear from him and he was doing some new cutting edge chemo treatments.  He was pretty sick and I had told him I wouldn't bother him but call me if he felt well enough to talk.  He passed shortly thereafter of a Glioblastoma which is a cancer of the brain stem. Same thing Teddy Kennedy died from.

Since he passed there hasn't been too many weeks or days that I don't think of him. Honestly it's been hard doing alot of things he taught me because of the good memories and conversations we shared..I think of him literally every time I power up my lip press.

Several weeks ago FATE happened. Something as simple as riding my motorcycle to Home Depot and getting stopped in the parking lot....

I come out of HD to....Hey are you that Salty guy who makes the fishing lures? Turned into a chance meeting of his son Jim on his motorcycle. Jim recognized me and waited til I came out.  He mentioned that he had a ton of stuff set aside at his house for me that his dad wanted me to have and we would get together soon.

Today was that day.

Since our chance encounter I have been thinking alot about this trying to figure out what to do with all the stuff and I came up with an idea and passed it by Jim jr.. he liked it as much as I did..and it's going to happen. Sometime between now and probably the Risaa show in the spring, maybe sooner I am going to start finishing out alot of this stuff that is there and am going to be selling all in honor of Jim. 100% of what these lures sell for will be made a donation to either the American Cancer Society, the National Brain Tumor Society, or maybe the Dana Farber Cancer Center where he was treated. We're not sure where yet, but it's going to happen where his family feels it should go.

There will be some stuff that many haven't seen in a long time, and there may even be some new kits dedicated to Jim, some new lips including a pikie 0.5 that many have asked for and I've never sunk the money into the tooling, I will have a few weeks work just going through all this stuff to see what's there.  Pencil poppers, mini eelskins, micro A40 swimmers, poppers, all kinds of stuff.

This will be a piece of plug builder history and I hope you will join me in helping make this a contribution to honor a true friend.  Stay tuned.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

awesomejohn

Re: Fate...something coming
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 03:06:07 PM »

Bravo Scott and Amen...

You have a supporter here on the other side of the pond.. Please send my warmest regards to Jims family and let them know that Jim is not forgotten and will be honored by us all. I am sorry for the loss of your friend Scott.  He will live in our plugs forever. Warmest regards Awesome John

jbw252

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 03:43:56 PM »
Nice gesture, Scott.

risurffishing

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 10:31:30 PM »
Scott if you need anything you let me know. Great cause and want to help anyway I can. You got my email, just let me know where and when, if you need any help.

John

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 06:00:00 AM »
Tnx John if you want to come do some sanding you know where I am  ;)
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 10:36:09 AM »
I am looking forward to seeing and contributing.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 07:44:12 PM »
Some pics of what is to come.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 07:47:38 PM »
Some more

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 07:51:03 PM »
More

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 04:36:14 PM »
I lost my mom to cancer 2 yrs this sept we were not talking much till she came dn sick not a day goes by that I don't feel like an ass but I was there for her till the end and we forgave each other but still doesn't make me feel any better I miss her very much scott im with you on this one for sure anything I can help with
as life goes on things get taken from you live for today yesterday is gone and tomorrow isn't here yet go fishing

risurffishing

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 01:04:48 PM »
Scott, sorry been away. I took two weeks off and did a lot of fishing.The kids have fall sports for the next couple of weeks, but if you still need help after that, i can come up one Saturday and help out with theses. Let me know. ( I like all of the topwater stuff, nice stuff)

John

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 07:09:17 PM »
Hoping to start on some of this by the weekend.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 08:49:56 PM »
John B was awesome to come up today and give me a hand with some of this. We got about 200 lures sanded and sealed today. Some SWEEEET eelskin lures, some even SWEEETER 1.5 and 3.5oz pencil poppers, some real nice bottle poppers...MUCH more coming.

We will also make some of these eelskin lures into kits...JB Eelskin kit.  100% of the purchase price of these will be a donation in Jim's name to the Brain Tumor Society & Dana Farber.

Look for the kits in the next several weeks, as soon as I can get the pictorial work done and the webpage setup I will announce here when ready!

Thanks for the help today John!

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 09:01:20 PM »
John there was 2 and 3 pc jointed as we thought! The 2 pc is 2.5oz, the 3pc is 3.5oz..

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 06:19:51 AM »
This was in the news this morning and caught my eye.

http://www.people.com/article/brittany-maynard-death-with-dignity-Nov-1

Brittany died of the same horrible cancer that Jim did. I invite you all to watch her video. Very Sad. 29 years old.