Author Topic: Daly's ship and shore sealer?  (Read 3602 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Daly's ship and shore sealer?
« on: January 08, 2012, 01:28:37 PM »
Hello everyone! I am new to plug building and I am looking for a good sealer for my plugs that wont try to kill me like the minwax or is something I can find that wont cost an arm and a leg. The only sealcoat i could find was almost 100km away and $65 a gallon. I would like to start small and if it works good for me and I can impress the banker (wife :D) with my lure building skills then my budget will expand and the world will be my oyster. So anyway I found this stuff at the store called Daly's ship and shore sealer and it sounds like it'll be good (and less than $20)but I thought I would run it past you gentlemen and get your 2 cents if you've heard of it. Other than that it'll have to be BLO mix or something similar unless there are and good suggestions.Thanks in advance for your time and help, Bob

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Daly's ship and shore sealer?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 01:39:42 PM »
Not ever heard of it so can't comment on how it will work. Do not recommend the linseed oil mix it's not the best of sealers.

Waterlox is a good sealer, it's tung oil base as is Minwax sanding sealer which you can get at hd etc. Both is better.

Make sure you have good adhesion in between steps.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
Re: Daly's ship and shore sealer?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 06:56:16 PM »
hey el calamarie like salty said waterlox marine......24hrs dry time for exterior surfaces......keep in mind when plug building no short cuts  and dont rush anything.......a quart is pretty pricie but worth every penny.....remember alot of work goes into plug building........it would be a shame to fish your plug and after a few cast it takes on water....and sheds all your paint and cracks......been ther and done that    waterlox orginal marine finish  tb-6032    professional/industral use.......good luck
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent