Author Topic: Gidday from Australia  (Read 7531 times)

Barry Mundie

Gidday from Australia
« on: January 18, 2012, 04:56:59 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but have been researching through this site for a while now. It doesn't seem to matter what part of the world you come from, there's always a bunch of "tackle junkies" somewhere!

I have just placed an order with Scott for about 20 small surface lures that I will use here in tropical Queensland. I'm blessed to be smack bang in the middle of some of the fishiest waters in Australia here in Queensland. Off-shore we're fringed by the Great Barrier Reef (tuna, marlin, mackarel, trevally and hundreds of bottom dwelling reef species) on-shore there are extensive coastal mangrove estuaries (barramundi, queenfish, mangrove jacks, tarpon, flathead, whiting) and inland there are some beautiful river systems and impoundments stocked with native species like native Australian bass, saratoga and the iconic BARRAMUNDI!!!!!

This will be my first crack at building/painting lures although I have worked in a tackle store building rods and tying flies so techniques should be similar in a way. Still, i'm sure I'll be full of questions and hopefully you guys will be kind enough to help out.

I'll keep you posted with progress.

Regards,

Barry

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Gidday from Australia
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:07:35 PM »
Hi Barry and welcome! I always find it pretty cool to hear from the other side of the world. Very much enjoy dealing with you blokes down under. Theres quite a few guys that are here from Australia. Your fishing is fantastic! Definitely post up anything we can help with. There's some very talented guys here.

Peter Jay is all bark and no bite it's numbnuts you gotta watch out for  :-*
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 05:12:45 PM »
Howdy and welcome to Saltyland. It'll be great to get some input from Down Under. The other members here (especially our host) might seem like a bunch of cantankerous reprobates, but underneath it all they're even worse. (LOL) Sounds like you've got some great fishing in your neck of the woods. A lot of us here aren't really familiar with all the species you mentioned - I know I'd love to see some pictures. Cheers mate!
"Why can't everybody leave everyone else the hell alone?"

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:28:59 PM »
hey welcome barry.....say ask as meny questions as ya like...yea this is a cool site alot of entertainment here...........say ya for got to mention one type of fish its called the ball muncher.....or nut cruncher.........all i know is for some reason it likes male testtes........ill see if i can post a pick of that on godly species...
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 05:29:37 PM »
nut muncherThis is the ferocious 'Ball Cutter' fish which has killed two men by biting off their testicles. A British angler has told how he snared a predator known to feast on the testicles of men. Jeremy Wade, 53, spent weeks fishing in remote Papua New Guinea after locals told him how a mysterious beast was castrating young men in the area's waters. He finally caught the perpetrator: the Pacu fish, known locally as The Ball Cutter. Jeremy wrestled the 40lb monster on the floor of his boat and opened its snapping jaws with his bare hands to discover a set of human-like teeth. The Ball Cutter boasts an impressive set of gnashers, which tear off the testicles of unwitting anglers and swimmers, leaving them to bleed to death. Jeremy, from Bath, Somerset, told how he reeled in The Ball Cutter as part of his new series of River Monsters, aired on ITV next week.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 08:32:08 AM »
As you can see Barry, we Yanks are a bit geography-challenged. In fact, 53% of the population thinks that the capital of New York is Bismarck, North Dakota. This is the result of CIA-sponsored legislation that banned the teaching of geography in public schools. That way, when the crowd in Washington decides that it's time to start another war, they can claim our republic is on the verge of being invaded by Switzerland, and nobody will be the wiser. I guess you could say it's worked pretty well so far. The only reason I know that Papua New Guinea isn't in Australia is that during World War II, my late grandfather tried to desert from the U.S. Marine Corps by swimming  from New Guinea to Australia and was devoured by a herd of sea otters. Things were really tough in those days.

Jimmy Durante

Barry Mundie

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 09:42:09 PM »
Thanks guys. You blokes are all MAD (in particular Peterjay)!!!!

Just a few confirmations-

Papua New Guinea is a near northern neighbour but I certainly wouldn't try and swim there! Sea otters and Nut Munchers would eat you before you hit land. In saying that, PNG is home to the Black Bass. Some say it's the hardest pulling fish swimming. One day I'll get there.

Wading in this part of Australia is certainly not recommended due to the crocs. Humans are a tasty, bit sized snack. Besides the Taipans and Brown snakes get you long before you reach the river bank. Swarms of them. But that's only if you have cleared a path past the ferel pigs with tusks like a sabre tooth tiger. Nasty buggers. That's just in the fresh water!! There's twice as many deadly creatures in the ocean. It's actually quite dangerous.

I'll post a few photo's of some fish when I get a chance.

Regards,

Barry

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 09:46:44 PM »
Welcome to the mad house upps forum

sharkie

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 04:58:11 AM »
SNAKES?

YIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII RUN
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 05:41:44 AM »
I hate snakes they are nasty

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 07:40:14 AM »
yea barry.........peterjay has a way with words.............he's brillant......ya have to see some of his work,,,he's an artist

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 09:38:23 AM »
That's funny cuz I once caught a 3' snake on a hot dog in Florida with my grandad. I threw a 1' around rock on it when it came close enough.

I hate snakes. About as much as I hate Timmy.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 10:46:48 AM »
Thanks guys. You blokes are all MAD (in particular Peterjay)!!!!

Thank you Barry, I appreciate the kind words; I've worked hard to cultivate the image of a madman. People generally steer clear of me, especially when I'm wearing a red paint-spattered shirt, uncombed hair, and carrying my machete. Seriously, everybody here likes to have fun and there aren't any flame artists. When somebody behaves disrespectfully on this site, we hunt them down and feed them to Salty's pet leopards.

Jimmy Durante

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 04:28:13 PM »
...Australia has every poisonous, venomous, spiky hairy scaly fang toothed thing I can think of!!!... 

Not all of them however.

The missus is in the kitchen fixing dinner!  :satan:

Barry Mundie

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 06:24:04 PM »
Apparently 8 of the 10 most deadly snakes in the world live in my back yard. I kicked an Eastern Brown off the back step last week and a Taipan from behind the bins a week before.
There are signs up at ALL of the local boat ramps warning of crocs. I'll get some photo's on the weekend.

Barry