Author Topic: Sealing Lures  (Read 4966 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Sealing Lures
« on: May 09, 2012, 07:06:14 PM »
HI
First time poster.
Ok so I just got a plug making kit and a handful of blanks.  I have been looking around this forum, youtube, and a few other sites.  My question is choosing a sealer and how to use it?  What do you use?  What makes a good sealer?  Who makes good sealers?  And how does a first timer go about sealing my plugs.  I guess I would just like a little more detail.  Thank you
 ???

Offline Out Fishing

Re: Sealing Lures
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 07:07:38 PM »
I found a sanding sealer at my hardware store, said primer on it, is that what I am looking for?
Thank you

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:12:28 PM »
Put sealer in the searchbox above here. There's been many many threads about this. All the information you could ever ask for. Welcome to the forum!
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 11:40:31 AM »
banana oil, works the best :dance:

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »
haha don't be stirring up trouble now :)
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 10:20:09 PM »
OK
So I went to home depot today and bought a gallon of Minwax sanding sealer and two spray cans of Rustoleum primer.  After drilling holes for in my needle fish plugs for my 3D eyes, holes in the belly for hooks, and nose and tail holes for lead wights.  I put ten plugs into a pickle jar and filled it with the Minwax.  I left it in there for about an hour stirring every once and awhile.  Now all ten plugs are on a drying rack.  Next I will prime them with a few coats of rustoleum primer.  How does that sound?  How long should I wait before priming?
Thank you

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 05:29:52 AM »
Couple days if you soaked them that long. Shouldnt soak for more than 10-15 min tops. That's up to you. Some like it long and some short.

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 09:24:02 PM »
hey Element........just make sure all your steps are dry........dont rush.......drying is key.......waterlox sealer is my favorite....good luck and post some pic's.......just keep in mind the drying process on all your steps
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 12:23:48 PM »
Thanks Handy
I couldn't find "waterlox" at home depot, where do you get it? and why do you prefer it?  The lures have been sitting for two days now on a piece of 2x4 I drilled holes into and stuck 3-4" metal coat hanger segments into to hold the lures up right.  Now my next step will be to sand the lure body slightly and prime.  What grit sand paper do you recommend for for pre-primer sanding?

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 08:53:08 PM »
hey there element.......well you can try online for the waterlux.......but check your local paint store.......like a good mom and pop store...........i think some places are taking the stuff off the shelves just because its not enviromental friendly......but its good stuff......
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent