Author Topic: Weighting Plugs  (Read 4018 times)

Offline Out Fishing

Weighting Plugs
« on: May 12, 2012, 12:29:18 PM »
Hi guys
Ok Lets talk about weights and weighting plugs.  I recently purchased 10 7" needle fish plugs.  I put in holes in the belly for belly hooks, holes for the eyes, and usually a hole near the eyes and a hole near the tail for weights.  They were all a little different to see what works and what doesn't.  Yesterday I took a part an old needle fish and an old Danny plug to re-paint them.  I noticed that the through hole where the wire goes through was drilled wider at the tail and had a weight parallel with the plug.  I would like to know what is the best way to weight a needle plug.  How much weight should I be trying to add, what ratio?  What is the goal of weighting plugs?  Anyway lets get the conversation rolling.

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
Re: Weighting Plugs
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »
Think about where the weight is in the wood and it will tell you what it does which will tell you how it performs in the water.

If there is weight in the nose it's nose down. If it's in the tail it's tail down.

It isn't rocket science :)
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 06:48:11 PM »
Take some weights and put them on a lure with rubber bands. Take it out and try it. I'm a firm believer in learning how it works to understand what makes a lure drive a predator wild.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 07:50:24 PM »
I got that.  What are you looking for with the needle fish?  Nose up, nose down, even keel?

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 06:08:52 PM »
I missed this. Needles work best imo slightly tail down. Nose poking through the surface slightly.