Author Topic: painting set up  (Read 4304 times)

Offline Out Fishing

painting set up
« on: February 12, 2010, 10:07:25 AM »
What do you guys do for holding the plug during painting? Right now I am using an airbrush, and hanging the plug in a cardboard box turned on its side, sort of like a spray booth, but I need something better. So what works for you?
Thanks
ED

njfish

Re: painting set up
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:25:48 AM »
I myself do it 2 ways.  One is to use a piece of wire but sometimes plug spins on it unless done right.  The other is to use either a threaded hanging hooks or threaded eyes which I then hang it horizontal on a holder I made as I get a better view of plug and I can also turn it over and spin holder around this way.  I have also chucked it in my bett .drill which will hold it.  Many times I will also just hold by hook in one hand and spray with other.  Just a few ideas

I like the eyes as I then use these to mount in my spinner after Etex finish is applied

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 06:01:52 PM »
well  ed i dont do mass quanitys of plugs......so i use a wire from saltys....plug wire 3/4'rs oppsite the eyelet end i put a slight bend so the plug dont spin ......holding the eyelet side  i spray the plug ..... twist......and spray the other side......i also made up a drying jig  which i also use for spraying ...it holds about a dozen plugs.....its a 1.5" baluster with a base...the baluster is about 3'   with a bunch of  long finishing nails running from the top  to the bottom of the  baluster spaced 5"apart  just slide the plugs on the nails............and spray like theres no tomarrow let them dry....hope this makes sence........its best if i take a pic of it
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 06:10:08 AM »
Screw eyes were what I always found worked good. You can buy them in larger boxes at Home Cheapo.

Lots of guys use a slightly bent wire thru the body then pull it out after. Myself I always had problems with it rotating. A screw eye can be held with your hand, or put it in a vise grip and you can use that to keep the lure body from falling over. Works good with a final epoxy coat too...edge of a table allows you to flip the vise grips to keep the epoxy from puddling at the bottom of the lure until it dries.
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

seaviewer

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 07:56:10 AM »
I've been using wire coat hangers. I cut them to get two hangers. Bend them into an L shape with a bent hook at the top. This works well for spraying, chucking the hook into vise for applying epoxy and hanging to dry. Low tech, zero cost.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 01:07:48 PM »
I do like seaviewer and use a piece of hanger wire with a slight bend in it to
grip when inserted thru the center hole.  I have had the occasional one that
rotates while you are painting and causes the expletives to fly, but in general
it works pretty well.

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 08:39:18 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, I switched to a cabinet screw, and modified my set up. I will get a new pick soon. And hopefully a pic of the first plug.
ED

njfish

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 11:47:51 AM »
As said above I usually use screw eyes but either hold with hand or use one of 2 holders I have.  One holder is just 2 boards w/ a v cut in them nailed in a tee so they stand upright to other boards-I can then rest my plug on this or I use a paint box I built which doubles as a mesh holder for scales.  The uprights have a v cut in them to hold plug and are adjustable.  This is a picture I have and not my exact system(my tray/box is blue)