Author Topic: super newbie question  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Out Fishing

super newbie question
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:38:20 PM »
Hi! Just starting putting together my first plugs. I sealed them with Ace hardware sanding sealer and I primed them white! But, In the tips on this site the recommended order is "kits is to dip seal them, prime, base coat (white or black), color coat, clear coat, final assembly", shouldn't i have put my belly weight in before I primed them? Pretty silly question but maybe this order should be changed. I will post some pictures when I am done!

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
Re: super newbie question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 10:21:47 PM »
hay efooo welcome...........generaly once  my plugs are all drilled out ill soak them in sanding sealer i like to soak them well... let them dry over night..you can put your belly weight in at this point if u like it painted........prime your plug let dry... air brush it let dry....personaly i put the belly weight in  after the plug is all painted... i put the eyes belly weight and belly gromett in.........then 2 part epoxy the plug i spin dry the plug   with a rod motor slow ...i like the 2 part epoxy to cover the eyes the weight and the belly gromitt to insure a water tight seal.........but generaly those toothie buggers like to saw them in half 8)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 01:32:38 AM »
Thanks for the great info! I think I didn't seal them good enough. I didn't soak them. I just coated them twice. To start over should I just sand the primer off and dip them again? Or what do you recommend? I could just use these as a practice exercise but it would be nice to use them. Thanks!! 

Offline Out Fishing

• Admin
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 04:49:01 AM »
glue your weight in then seal...

Cut the sanding sealer slightly with turps then dip the whole thing in there. Use an old olive or pickle or coffee jar
Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way....Alan Watts

Offline Out Fishing

• member of the beat ratty club of north america
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 09:33:49 AM »
lot of ways to skin a cat ;D but do what salty said weight first....
fishpimping east coast style

Offline Out Fishing

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 05:28:51 PM »
Sounds good. Another question. What if while I am painting my plug, I totally mess it up and want to start over? Should I just repaint it my initial color and start from there or should I sand it and prime again. What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Offline Out Fishing

• Build rods,plugs,flys and love to fish mostly surf
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 05:44:02 PM »
hay efooo! been there and done that :'(  ..well as long as there aint any runs.....i would lightly sand the plug and spray your base coat again  u dont have to sand the plug totaly out....just lightly so the base coat sticks......then once that drys air brush your colors.........ive had times were i just say ef it  and start from scratch..............good question  good luck    :)
Born to fish forced to work
time spent fishing is time well spent